Vitamins

Weaura
on 8/18/15 11:10 pm

I was just looking at Vitalady website and was shocked at the cost of the 90 day supply of vitamins. Does insurance cover the costs of those? I currently take a prenatal multi vitamin, and extra Vit D, probably fat based. My insurance covers the multi vitamin. Would that still work after a DS? I realize it wouldn't  be sufficient on its own. But I need to economize where possible. 

MajorMom
on 8/19/15 2:32 am - VA

A multivitamin and an oil based vitamin D2 won't be nearly enough unless you are a very special DSr and absorb more than most folks. Use Vitalady's list and comparison shop. Get your labs done so you can make small adjustments but don't assume that if everything is barely hanging in the normal range that you're ok, you also need to watch the labs over time to make sure they are not trending downwards. Some of the key vitamins and minerals to watch and supplement are Vitamin D3, calcium, iron, B12 and B1. You could try to take 2 multivitamins a day and see how well you hold your lab levels with the addition of dry D3, iron, calcium citrate, and B12.

--gina  

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

PeteA
on 8/19/15 5:13 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

Are you pre-op?

It's a good sign that they cover your multivitamin. While I think most people do NOT have their vitamins covered I've seen several people say that with a note from their Doc that some vitamins are required post-op they have been able to get some covered by insurance. Not the average story though.

On cost just two quick points. The pre-packaged vitamins will always be more expensive. Your first outlay for vitamins will be your biggest single vitamin cost. After that things run out at different times so you can look for sales etc and not have to spend as much at any single time.

Pete