DS Patient Workbook Update

Vikki C.
on 8/15/15 7:02 am

Looking through the collection of documents for the DS patient at the Central Valley Bariatrics website (Dr. Ara Keshishian), I found that there is a newly updated version of the DS Patient Workbook.  It's a fabulous resource and well worth reading, especially for an old vet DSer like me who may have forgotten some of the basics of post-DS eating and supplementation.  I was particularly interested to see new guidelines stating that calcium and magnesium are antagonist with each and should be taken separately.  I think this is important information because many calcium citrate supplements are sold as combination products with magnesium in the formulation.  He also recommends taking heme iron over other forms.  Here is the link to the new book:

http://www.dssurgery.com/program/downloads/duodenal-switch-p atient-workbook.pdf

~Vikki~

MajorMom
on 8/15/15 2:19 pm - VA

I'd never read that mag citrate and cal citrate were antagonist, but I know we need it in our systems to help absorb calcium. Now I see maybe not in the same dose. Interesting.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Vikki C.
on 8/15/15 6:51 pm

Yes, it was something new to me, as well.  Good to know.  He also says that if there is a deficiency in a specific vitamin or mineral, it should be taken separately from other pills or food.  I didn't realize that either.

~Vikki~

MajorMom
on 8/16/15 4:07 am - VA

Dr E's dietitian did recommend that separation to help with some particularly stubborn vitamins and minerals. I have to take zinc separately now but in the past I also had to take copper away from everything else.  

******GOAL*******

Join us on the
Lightweights Board!

Vikki C.
on 8/16/15 5:10 am

Trying to maximize my supplementing, and it's quite a juggling act fitting everything into my day, finding slots for all my pills and meals.  So far, I have to separate multiple doses of calcium, magnesium, and vit d, not to mention all the restrictions involved with taking iron.  The day just isn't long enough!

~Vikki~

MajorMom
on 8/16/15 5:41 am - VA

I guess it's a good thing I know I'll wake up during the night. I can squeeze another dose of something or other in during the night. Another little ditty, we are wasting our time giving a supplement 2 hours in between doses since our transit time is so fast. An hour should be plenty of time for our speedy little systems to get all they can from a dose of a vitamin or mineral. 

******GOAL*******

Join us on the
Lightweights Board!

Vikki C.
on 8/16/15 6:24 am

Thanks for the timing tip.  That will make a big difference.  

~Vikki~