Good morning Vets need help with what annual labs I need

bigmikebigfoothunter
on 8/12/15 4:26 am
DS on 03/10/14

Hello everyone! I am off to my Dr in just a few hours and at 16 months out can u guys please tell me what labs I need done. I will save this list forever got one from u guys last year can't find it. I'm down to 208 from 478 so weight loss has been excellent. However I'm struggling medically from other problems. I know this is crazy but I have stopped almost all of my vitamins. They were making me have even more Gastro problems and I need to get them back on track. My joints are very sore think it's about time for a bone Dexa scan as well. This week I called a highly recommended colon rectal surgeon to try again and help with my pain as well as a new Gastro Dr. To no surprise they are both checking with the docs before even scheduling me. This has been so frustrated because doctors look at me as damaged and no one wants to help.  Well that's enough about all of that , I'm a big boy and will just keep trying. I am looking at the possibility of disability wich sucks after loosing all this weight. I'm not blaming the DS for it , my appendix ruptured gangrene 6 months ago and ever since I've had major problems. Thanks for all the support everyone I really need a good lab order to give my primary dr this morning. I would really appreciate it. He's about the only dr that hasn't abandoned me yet! Thanks guys- Mike

PeteA
on 8/12/15 6:41 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

Hi Mike,

I hope this gets yo you in time.  The first 2 links cover the vitalady list of labs. While you may not need every test I think you can use it as a basis for discussion.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/12KuG39aHUUV7S2x9U-4HKjuM1-SlDGRXSe6fOhJQcAI/edit

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ds/4167697/List-of-labs-to-give-PCP/

https://docs.google.com/document/d/12KuG39aHUUV7S2x9U-4HKjuM1-SlDGRXSe6fOhJQcAI/edit

I hope this helps. Sounds pretty frustrating. Don't give up.

Pete

bigmikebigfoothunter
on 8/12/15 8:23 am
DS on 03/10/14

Thanks Pete, just left doctors office and he ran tests.  Seems mad that I even had weight loss surgery. He just told me they are all bad and 4 of his medical patients have died including a good friend of his. I am very frustrated I'm having tough luck getting any real answers to what's going on. I had major trauma from my ruptured appendix and all Drs want to talk about is my WLS. Seems like a stigma that they feel scared to even try and fix me. I feel like disability is in my immediate future at this point. I live in pain and can do very little. But thanks for responding I will keep u updated with what happens next!

PeteA
on 8/12/15 10:39 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

Geez. It does seem like nobody just wants to get to the bottom of your problems. Easy enough for people to say oh you should never have done this but no one goes into it without exhausting all the regular possibilities. I hope things get better soon and I wish I had some good advice for you but do what you have to.  

I don't remember, have you tried some of the more well known bariatric surgeons to see if they would consult?It seems like you are exhausting your local resources. I know you have probably thought this through more times than I can imagine so just disregard if it seems that advice is just a wrong turn.

Pete

bigmikebigfoothunter
on 8/12/15 10:59 am
DS on 03/10/14

No Pete I may try the guy in Denton I see him posted on here as a known surgeon. I just think they are just blowing me off because my situation is challenging. Thanks for trying to help just feel kinda bummed out today messing with all these doctors who don't care. I'm wandering how many people on here have been proven disabled after the weight loss.  It seems unfortunate but probably where I am heading