Is it possible to not need more calcium?

catecholamine
on 8/11/15 1:59 pm

My surgery was 01/22/14. At first, I was bad about not taking calcium properly. The pills were huge and I hated them. Then after about 6 months, I tried to get serious about it and started taking them like I should. Within a few weeks, I had my first kidney stone. It hurt....bad. I got bad about not taking it again, but then I had my 1yr labs and calcium and PTH (and everything else) were both perfectly normal, middle range, not even high middle. Just...completely normal. So I continued to not really take calcium. Flash forward to 5 weeks ago. I was on a buttload of antibiotics and meds for a bad tooth infection and cellulitis. Suddenly, I started itching all over, bad. When I finished those antibiotics, it continued. I thought, oh god, it must be my PTH, the calcium is finally catching up with me, so I start taking 500mg 4x a day. Itching didn't stop. 2 1/2 weeks later, pain. CT scan showed, among other things, a new, huge, 8mm stone in my right kidney (same as before). They instructed me to stop the calcium for now. Also, labs showed PTH and calcium was again normal. Every time I get serious about taking calcium (and yeah, it's calcium citrate), I get a honking kidney stone. And my PTH and calcium are always normal, even when I haven't been taking ANY calcium. Is it possible that I just don't need it? I'm a 26yo female. All my labs have been pretty good - last one showed D trending down a bit, but still normal (42) - everything is good. I get several iron infusions every 6-8 months. But otherwise...everything is good with my multi, 50k D, 25k A, 400 E, and 1000mcg K1. I know so many people have issues with not being able to get enough calcium....I never thought it was possible that I'd NOT need it...but the docs are telling me it doesn't look like I do, and every time I start up, I get a big ol kidney stone. And lemme tell you, it's not fun.

Surgery on 01/22/14 with Dr. K. Williams in Knoxville, TN.

PeteA
on 8/12/15 6:13 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

It doesn't seem likely but we do say follow your labs and you seem to be doing that just fine. You do get a small amount of calcium in your multi.  I would be concerned about not taking calcium but I understand why you don't want to. Hopefully some other people will chime in.

You might want to do some research on K2 (either MK4 or MK7). I seem to remember one of them was supposed to help  with the kidney stones as realted to calcium.

I know there are several types of stones - not all calcium related. Have the Docs ever been in a position to test what the stone is actually built up from? I've never heard about itching being caused by anything calcium related so I really think you jumped to the wrong conclusion there.

catecholamine
on 8/12/15 10:43 am

No clue what the stones have been made up of, no.

But high PTH can cause all over itching.... so that's what I was thinking it was, or was the most likely thing. Oh course, you get high PTH when you don't get enough calcium and your body is leeching it from your bones/teeth...

But my PTH has always been normal. So I can only assume that I AM getting enough calcium. I dunno.

PeteA
on 8/13/15 5:42 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

Good to know about the high PTH and itching. I knew it was a sign of calcium issues I just hadn't heard that there were any signs short of a blood test. 

catecholamine
on 8/13/15 8:41 am

Well, it doesn't happen to everyone with high PTH. But I'd never had all-over itching like that without a rash or anything - and the docs shrugged and said they had no idea what it was from, and that it wasnt any sort of allergic reaction because there was no ra****'s mostly better now, finally, but no clue what it was from! It was super annoying - literally from my scalp to toes. No hives or anything, just constant itching. Ugh!

But my PTH was fine, so I was wrong after all, lol. But yeah, if you start itching all over like that, totally go to a doc and get labs drawn - can be a sign of high PTH, or sometimes liver issues.