How do you fit iron into your supplement/meal schedule?

Vikki C.
on 8/10/15 8:32 pm

I want to start taking iron in addition to my other supplements.  I have read that iron should be separate from calcium, dairy foods, and caffeine, and is best absorbed when taken on an empty stomach.  I take calcium 3 times daily, and I eat between noon-8 pm each day with only coffee in the morning.  I need help in making a workable schedule to fit 2 doses of iron into my day.  Thanks.

jashley
on 8/10/15 9:00 pm
DS on 12/19/12

Hi Victoria,

I take my iron at night, right before bed.  It's the only time I'm not drinking coffee, eating dairy, taking other vits, or eating.  I've read that some people naturally get up to use the bathroom in the middle of the night, and they take iron at that time.

I take 6 Tender Iron (from Vitalady) plus a C all in one swallow. 

If my life is busy and I don't have time to play with it, I take Proferrin.  This iron is not restricted like other iron types.  I can take it with coffee and my morning yogurt/protein shake.

Vikki C.
on 8/11/15 7:39 am

Hi Jashley.  I like the idea of taking it all at once at night.  Do you know whether it affects absorption to take a large dose instead of spreading it out?

I bought ferrochel type iron (ferrous bisglycinate chelate) to try because my research indicated that it is easily absorbed and smaller dosages are required than other types of iron.  I have read good things about Proferin as well, but it's expensive.  Would be great not to worry about dietary restrictions, though.  

jashley
on 8/11/15 9:03 am
DS on 12/19/12

I had to do some research on this, now that you asked.  I was wondering about this the other day myself.  I have accumulted a lot of info regarding suppliments and nutrition that last 3 years.

I found this in my library of info that I thought was interesting.

Ferrous Iron Types and Sizes

Iron Supplement

Tablet Size

Elemental Iron

Ferrous fumarate

325 mg

108 mg

Ferrous sulfate

325 mg

65 mg

Ferrous gluconate

325 mg

35 mg

Fishbane S, et al. Kidney Int Suppl. 1999 Mar.4

Types of Iron Supplements

There are two general types of iron supplements which contain either the ferrous or ferric form of iron. Ferrous iron is the best absorbed form of iron supplements. Most available iron pills contain ferrous iron. There are three types of ferrous iron supplements commonly found: ferrous sulfate, ferrous fumarate, and ferrous gluconate. While all three come in a 325 mg tablet size, each one contains a different amount of the form of iron used by your body, called “elemental iron”. When choosing an iron supplement, it is important to remember to look at the amount of “elemental iron” in each tablet, instead of the size of the tablet.1

Adults will usually require a dose of 60-200 mg of elemental iron daily, depending on the severity of the anemia.2 Since the amount of iron absorbed decreases as doses get larger, most people should take their daily iron supplement in two or three equally spaced doses. For adults who are not pregnant, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) generally recommends taking 50-60 mg of oral elemental iron (the approximate amount of elemental iron in one 325 mg tablet of ferrous sulfate) twice daily for three months for the treatment of iron deficiency anemia.3 However, your doctor will individually evaluate your condition and prescribe the amount of iron you need.

jashley
on 8/11/15 9:06 am
DS on 12/19/12

I saved this post from a DS veteran regarding iron supplements since it had good info on what type of iron to take and when.

Some of the types of iron that haven proven absorbale and effective for us are carbonyl iron, ferrous fumerate, polysccharides, and heme iron. Vitalady carries all of these and Walgreens carries a combo of heme and polysccharide, Feosol Bifera. I take carbonyl in the afternoon away from all other vitamins and minerals, dairy, eggs, whole wheat, etc., and heme iron at bedtime. When I was bringing my iron labs up I took 300mg of carbonyl iron and 2 heme iron tablets snapped in 2 pieces for easier absorption.

Vikki C.
on 8/11/15 9:41 am

Thanks Jashley, for all the good information.  It looks like it might be a good idea to separate iron doses at least into two times a day.  I'm thinking of using the Ferrochel in the evening and again during the night for a while to see if it helps.  If I need more iron, I'll add Proferrin during the day.  

jashley
on 8/11/15 9:53 am
DS on 12/19/12

I looked up what Vitalady posted on her vit schedule, and she has 5 Tender Iron (her pills) plus a C taken at one time, so that is where I got the idea of taking all of mine at one time. 

Just doing the research and posting this info to you I see I would be better off taking my iron in smaller doses through out the day.  I didn't know that higher doses means lower uptake.

As a rule, I never take iron with anything but meat and water.  Its too strong to take on an empty stomach, and it can't be taken with anything else.  It either gets blocked or it blocks some other vitamin.

MajorMom
on 8/12/15 3:07 am - VA

Haha! That's my post. I'm glad someone was paying attention.  

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

jashley
on 8/13/15 8:47 am
DS on 12/19/12

Always paying attention to you! 

MajorMom
on 8/11/15 2:12 am - VA

I used to fit it in in the late afternoon. I was only having a protein shake at lunchtime and nuts during the afternoon. Vitalady said nuts, meat or a little citrus fruit was fine to have with iron.

--gina 

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny