Hip Pain

Lisenros
on 8/7/15 5:52 am

Hello,

I'm trying to get some advice on this subject. I've had hip pain for almost a month. First, I should explain that I am taking my vitamins now, but I stopped for about four months. I went to my doctor to see if that might be a factor in why I was having pain, but she said it was bursitis. I don't have swelling or the fever as a symptom though. I do have pain. I got a new car and about a week later, I started having the pain, so I thought maybe that might be contributing to it. The car seat has an adjustable height, which I've never used before and I think maybe I was sitting wrong in it and it's caused the pain. I still drive it and the pain is getting worse and worse. But what I'm wondering is if anyone has heard of hip pain coming from vitamin deficiencies, last time I got tested I had low A & D. And also if anyone has suggestions on how to get rid of the pain if you've experienced it. I've been icing it, trying not to lay on it, taking ibuprofen, and doing stretches. Thank you for any help you can give me.

Gwen M.
on 8/7/15 10:07 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Have you had x-rays and an MRI?  Have you seen an orthopedist?

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Lisenros
on 8/7/15 11:57 am

No not yet. I went to the doctor on the 27th. She said I had bursitis and to ice it and stay off of it as much as possible. It wasn't too bad at the time, but I have to walk a couple blocks daily to and from my car to get to work and I have stairs in my house that I have to go up and down, so as time has passed, it's gotten worse and worse. I'm thinking about getting a cane because while I'm at home, I have to grab on furniture to walk. I contacted her today and she said that I should go to a physical therapist. I made an appointment with a doctor of Osteopathy. I'm hoping he can help me. My pain does lessen while I'm at work. I sit in my office chair all day and try not to walk anywhere. It's when I am out of work that I have to walk a lot. I think my sofa is too low and not comfortable for me to sit and my bed is above my waist so climbing in it is hard on me. I also wake up every few hours from the pain so I'm sleep deprived now.

Gwen M.
on 8/7/15 12:00 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Definitely see an orthopedist and get some radiology testing to see what's going on.  Physical therapy will probably be in your future and your orthopedist might be able to give you a shot in the hip to take care of some of the inflammation in the meantime.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Lisenros
on 8/9/15 4:47 am

I went to the appointment yesterday. The doctor said he couldn't say for sure it was bursitis because I have no tenderness where people normally have it. I think it might be a back spasm now. I can feel it a bit and yes my hip hurts when I walk, but I heard that back pain can spread lower and affect other areas. I had an xray which they found nothing wrong with my hip or joint. The doctor asked me if I wanted cortisone, but if I don't have inflammation, then I would possibly go through the pain of the shot for two days and not come out any better after since I might not even have bursitis. In the end, he said I could do an MRI and get a cane right now. No relief other than that and I walked out of the office limping.

Vikki C.
on 8/7/15 10:53 am

Vit D deficiency can cause muscle pain, and iron deficiency can cause joint aching, but it seems unlikely these symptoms would manifest acutely in one hip.  I think I'd pursue orthopedic care.  Meanwhile, definitely keep taking your supplements.  

~Vikki~

Valerie G.
on 8/7/15 12:04 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

Many carry stress in their hips, which radiates to the lower back.  I do this myself, and actually get knotted muscles on the back of my hips.  My husband can rub out much of the knotted muscle, but sometimes I just need a deep tissue massage.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Lisenros
on 8/9/15 4:50 am

I think I'm having lower back pain and it's going to my leg. When the doctor was trying to find the pain, I felt a little on the side of my thigh but a lot on the front and a little on the inside. But now I can feel lower back spasms that I only felt after walking and having to carry the weight of my injured leg.

PattyL
on 8/8/15 12:16 pm

I believe in trying the easy things first.  Things that are non invasive and won't hurt you.  Here's another idea you can try.  Go to the store and buy a tube of Myoflex.  Don't bother with any of the others.  Myoflex is the only one I found that works.  Put it on the hip and let it absorb.  Try this a few times and you just may be surprised that it works!  I know I was shocked the first time because I was expecting no results.