full fat vs low fat vs nonfat and carbs

fatinberkeley
on 8/9/15 5:59 pm - berkeley, CA

Dear Fellow DSers, I had my laparoscopic DS surgery, along with removal of gal bladder and appendix, hernia repair and liver biopsy, one week ago tomorrow.  I think i'm having a good recovery, no pain medicine since morning after surgery, although using Tylenol PM for nighttime sleep, walking has increased to 3000 total steps throughout the day today and yesterday, no problem with getting the eight glasses of water in and eating five mini-protein meals with a total of about 40 grams of protein. I start the day with one saltine to quell the very empty feeling I have immediately upon waking, then about a half hour later I am having 4 oz of full fat greek yogurt as my first meal of the day along with one tablespoon of spoon fruit (preserves made from all fruit but still 7 grams of carbs.  Then I'm having about three onces of a chunky egg salad, not heavy with mayo but has bits of celery and dill for my second breakfast.  Lunch is 3 ounces of tuna salad with a tiny bit of onion and pickle relish.  Last night was 3 ounces of teriyaki marinated fresh salmon with a teaspoon of mayo based cole slaw (I am really craving a bit of some crunch and freshness.  Snack of one heavenly tablespoon of almond butter.  Have also been having one single sugar-free ice pop per day. Am not having excessive bowl movements, 4 very soft ones first thing in the morning, none during the day, so I think my system is tolerating the food well. Wondering if people use full or low or nonfat greek yogurt and also wondering if I'm getting too many or not enough carbs.  I know that the first couple of weeks are more loose, but think I am eating more like someone several weeks out. Thinking about making a little chicken curry stew with a bit of unsweetened coconut milk and some ginger and garlic and a bit of onion.  Would love to add some spinach at the end or maybe a mushroom or two.  Good idea, or no? Interested in feedback.  Oh, I haven't weighed myself, will see surgeon in a week and a half and trying not to focus on the numbers, but my face is thinner and I can see some weightless around my abdomen.  

NoreenRT
on 8/9/15 6:07 pm - Warner Robins, GA

I know they say to keep the carbs as low as possible during your honeymoon phase. The saltine and the addition of spinach would have tore me to pieces, but everyone's experience is different.

congrats on your new designer insides and for making the decision to a healthier new life.

Noreen  HW 352 / SW 324 / CW 175/ LW/ 148 / GW 150   (achieved Aug 14 '11)

larra
on 8/10/15 9:41 am - bay area, CA

A saltine or 2 first thing in the am may be helpful in sopping up any acid left over from the night. My surgeon (same practice as yours, 9 years ago) actually recommended this.

No need to use low fat or non fat yoghurt or cocttage cheese (or any other low/non fat product). You will only absorb about 20% of the fat you consume. Have the real thing, it tastes better and also often (almost always) has less carbs per serving.

When you see the surgeon or PA next week, ask about total carbs. To me it doesn't sound like you're doing too much, but it's not for me to say. what I will say is that you are doing far, far better than I was doing at the same point. congrats on your DS and on doing so very well.

Larra

PattyL
on 8/10/15 11:25 am

Forget the low fat stuff.  It's not for you.  You don't absorb 80% of what you eat.  And when they take out fat, they add carbs and salt.  Carbs are the real enemy.

I wouldn't try spinach just yet but you can probably tolerate a few mushrooms.

Overall, you are doing great.  Many are still trying to figure out how to drink at this point.  Right now, your job is to learn how to eat, drink, and let your body heal.  When you are a couple weeks out you can start worrying about weight loss.  Till then, eat what you can tolerate.

When it's time to put the hammer down, remember carbs are not your friend.  And carbs are carbs, no matter where they come from.

And if you can tolerate raw cabbage you are light years ahead of most!  

PeteA
on 8/10/15 4:56 pm - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

Low fat shopping is mostly behind you. Some people have a sensitivity the first month or so post-op but that doesn't seem to be an issue for you so not a problem.

I wouldn't worry about carbs this early out. Even though you seem to be doing pretty well getting food in it is still such a limited amount that you aren't taking in a lot of total carbs anyway. Low carb does seem to help maximize the early losing although the DS is also pretty forgiving at that point. When you get settled down into more regular meals I would try and stay under 50 a day.

Congrats on doing so well.  

Vikki C.
on 8/11/15 8:26 am

Hello.  I'm amazed at what you're able to eat at this early stage.  My best advice would be to watch portion size.  You don't want to stretch your stomach or put stress on the suture/staple line.  Remember to eat protein first. Remember that fat is now your friend, and carbs never will be.  Keep carbs low -- in future, they will halt weight loss or even cause weight gain.  No need for non or low fat; in fact, they would be tasteless if not for the added carbs and salt.  So go for the whole fat, good tasting products.  Great job getting in all your fluids as well.  Best wishes for continued success.

KarenRW
on 8/11/15 4:35 pm - Stockton, CA

Hi FatinBerkeley, soon to be ThininBerkeley I am sure.  It sounds like you are like me as I was able to eat anything from the get-go. I also made a grave mistake by eating some ground beef 3 weeks out and it was fine for me. We were at a restaurant and I saw ground beef and cottage cheese as a choice. Me, with my brain fog, forgot about not eating such a thing so early out. I ordered it, probably had 3 bites, with maybe 6 bites of cottage cheese if that much, and that was it. Yes, I should have just stuck with the cottage cheese. What I am saying is, learn as you go. I learned and thus stayed away from beef foods for another month or so. But whatever I tried I could eat. Dr. K. did a miraculous job on me and I had 0 complications, and even at 5 years out I started losing again (I never made it to goal as I was a revision), I lost over 20 more pounds without hardly trying. So anything is doable. Good Luck Fat (soon to be Thin). I look forward to hearing of your progress. Not knowing who your surgeon is, were you  told to eat low fat? Real good fat, full fat, is the best, but not necessarily to over do it, but it is never necessary to eat low fat or 0 fat at all. If all you can find is yogurt in 0 fat, add some heavy whipping cream. Some of us live on HWC (heavy whipping cream) just to add some more fat to our diet. For yogurt, the best I find here in California is Fage. It has full fat (traditional) and 11 fat and 20 protein maybe, 9 carbs. A lot of us think it is the best and has the best nutrition for us. Another item to check out and eat when you are able is coconut oil, has the best fat for us, (Medium chain and Omega-3). It is the best taste to give coffee. They have light versions too. I use it in baking too. If you want to really converse with people come to Facebook, Duodenal Switch support group. Hope to see you there "Thin". Just giving you encouragement now. 

All the best to all of you.

Karen