Can't break my stall, all food sucks! Tips please!!

Misty M.
on 7/19/15 8:17 pm - Renton, WA

I had a DS revision from an RNY May 19th. I was on IV nutrition until the end of June. Now, I'm stuck. I went down 45 lbs, then stopped. I've been stuck within 3 lbs of my current weight for a MONTH! I know stalls are common. I've tried eating differently (more, less, more liquids, less liquids) and still can't tolerate most solid meats and proteins. 

Any tips, tricks, or other that can help??? A DS is so very different than the RNY that I had for a decade!

Misty        

larra
on 7/20/15 9:19 am - bay area, CA

Misty, stalls are very frustrating, but this will pass. The best advice I can give is to keep up your fluids and emphasize protein. If that means protein drinks/shakes, then that's what it means. There is one at Trader Joe's called Pure Protein that has 35 gm of protein and tastes ok (I know so many are yucky). I mix in just a little bit of milk and somehow it improves the flavor a lot. It's more expensive to buy these than protein powder, but if you are like me and can't stand the powders these are very helpful. I don't use them all the time, but will still have one if I know I'm going to have a busy day.

You are still very early out, esp for such a big revision. You will be able to tolerate more variety of meats and other proteins as time goes on, but for now the protein drinks may really be helpful. And keep carbs low of course.

Larra

Heylove
on 7/22/15 12:30 am

This is how *I* get through the frustration of stalls (and slow weight loss for me!) - I think of all the internal changes that are happening. The remodeling that is taking place while my body tries to figure out WTF is going on, for one, and two, how to compensate for these changes.  Everything is shrinking - organs, fat cells, muscle and bone - and I just remind myself that although I can't see my bones, I know that they will be compensating for not having the hefty job of carrying all that extra weight anymore. And it takes a while for the body to realize it doesn't need all that bone.  If anyone wants to argue with me about actual bone loss versus loss of bone density, maybe another time.  I'm just pointing out how *I* use self talk to get through difficult times during periods of no weight loss.  And OMG, shall we even talk about the hormone changes that occur during weight loss?  Gosh almighty!!!!

Although its frustrating to look at my saggy skin, I know that it will take time for my body to figure out that no, we are not in a short term starvation period, we're getting rid of this weight for GOOD!  I'm even a little thankful for the hair loss I'm experiencing, since every ounce counts!  Ya'll already think I'm nuts anyway, but I'll say it - I envision my cells talking to each other and discussing "who's gonna go?"  I envision these cells breaking down and going through the process of getting eliminated from my body. It makes my time in the bathroom SO much more enjoyable when I know I'm flushing away matter that I no longer need to carry around.  >and then proceed to step on scale<   :)

As far as diet and eating habits, I'm probably not the best person to ask. My eating can be crappy sometimes, but you know what, I'm the one that has to deal with the consequences, and I don't allow myself to "boo hoo" about not losing weight when I know I had some french fries >gasp!<  One thing I do is think about EVERYTHING I put in my mouth.  "Do I REALLY want this piece of chocolate?" "Yes!" "Okay then!"  rather than mindlessly eating to try to fill that bottomless and hopeless, sad pit.  "Can I make a better food choice with this lunch that I have prepared?"  "Yes." And I remove the bread to only eat the protein and vegetables of my sandwich. Or I only use one slice of bread with a LOT of protein inside.  Sometimes one half of one slice of bread is enough to make me feel like I had a "real" sandwich. 

Are canned tuna and canned chicken out of the question for you, as far as protein choices?  I seemed to toloerate those well.

Whew, I didn't mean to write so much.  I hope you can find something useful here.  

And yes, I agree, the DS is very different from the RNY (that I had for 12 years!)