What is the best thing to take for

need2gethealthy
on 7/17/15 8:10 pm

not being able to go to the bathroom?  Please? 

Had revision (vsg to ds) on Tues and everything was ok on Wed.  Thurs and Fri = nothing.  I am being able to take all the fluids and protein drinks and such and took pain meds up until today. (I hear pain pills will cause constipation).  Very uncomfortable tonight and can hardly sit up.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.

In advance, thank you.

PattyL
on 7/17/15 11:30 pm

You just had surgery.  Ask your doc what you can take!

need2gethealthy
on 7/18/15 7:53 am

Ok.  They were not in yesterday, today or tomorrow.  I'll just wait until Mon and ask them. Thank you

larra
on 7/18/15 11:18 am - bay area, CA

Most surgeons have an answering service on weekends/holidays, and someone in their practice who can be reached during off hours. Give it a try.

Keep in mind also that it is common for the intestines to be sluggish, or not work at all, after being handled during surgery. The medical name for this is an ileus. It gets better with time, but the amount of time varies from person to person.

Larra

need2gethealthy
on 7/18/15 4:50 pm

Thank you Larra for the reassurance- I appreciate it.  Makes me feel better.

(deactivated member)
on 7/18/15 9:32 pm

Unless you're in pain, I would let nature take it's course. I did not have a bowl movement for 4 to 5 days after surgery. It took about 2 weeks for things to start happening on more of a routine.

need2gethealthy
on 7/19/15 2:18 pm

Thank you jmuldune, that is good advice.  Being nervous only makes it worse.  Thanks for your good input.

Valerie G.
on 7/22/15 4:43 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Your pain meds are probably to blame for constipation.  Try to wean yourself off asap for some real relief.  Most will recommend trying milk of magnesia first before anything drastic.  I got results with it - but getting off pain meds worked best for me.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

need2gethealthy
on 7/23/15 6:29 pm

Thank you Valerie G. that's perfect advice.  As soon as I quit the pain meds everything went straight to "normal for me".  So happy.  Thank you again for always checking on us here.  Your advice makes me feel good.