VSG to DS

jimsbaby
on 7/17/15 10:02 am - Canada

Hi All,

I had a VSG last October and I am down 90lbs - unfortunately more to lose :(

My hospital offers DS as a second step after the VSG if you are still obese.  I am thinking about doing it but want to know what type of results I can expect and how different my lifestyle/eating habits will be.  Trying to research on the web but not much info on VSG to DS or even DS on it's own.  Any info at all would be helpful.

larra
on 7/17/15 2:29 pm - bay area, CA

The DS has the best statistics of any bariatric operation for percentage excess weight loss, for maintaining that weight loss, and for resolution of almost all comorbidities. It is designed and intended to do as a one-stage operation, but in the last 5-7 or so years a lot of surgeons have been doing the sleeve as a stand alone. Some people get good results with just the sleeve, others (perhaps a lot of others) don't. We are seeing more and more people seeking revisions from their sleeves, even though that was their operation of choice. Restriction alone just isn't enough for most MO people, esp since the restriction lessens as time goes on and the sleeve stretches out, no matter how narrow it starts.

I have some excellent articles documenting the long term results of the DS, not just for weight loss and maintenance but also for resolution of comorbidities and for maintenance of good nutritional health. Yes, there are some people who get into nutritional trouble, but it is usually (not always!) due to noncompliance, which means that if you educate yourself as to your nutritional needs and accept the lifetime commitment to eat lots of protein and take certain vitamins every day, you should do fine.

If you are interested in good great articles about the DS, send me a pm.

Larra

Gwen M.
on 7/17/15 3:02 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

I'm confused.  You had VSG less than a year ago - have you stopped losing weight?  Is there something wrong with your sleeve?  

I'm 16 months post-op and still have 60 pounds of my original 200 to lose.  It would never cross my mind to revise to DS when I'm still working my sleeve.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

AmberK
on 7/19/15 8:55 pm
VSG on 03/07/12 with

I'm so glad you asked! I hope you get more answers! I had the VSG in March of 2012. I lost 85 pounds and have gained 45 back.  IM scheduling an appt. With my doc to see of the DS is an option for me. 

larra
on 7/20/15 9:30 am - bay area, CA

AmberK, the surgeon you have listed as your surgeon, to the best of my knowledge, does not do the DS. of course I could be wrong, but he doesn't list it on his page on this website, and I've never heard of him as a DS surgeon in all the years I've been here. I would suggest you consult with Dr. Ayoola in Denton, TX, who does the DS and revisions to the DS and has an excellent reputation.

Larra

Valerie G.
on 7/22/15 4:46 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Those who get DS as a second step lose slower than virgin DSers, but most get down to goal.  You're not even a year out, though.  I recommend you keep pushing what you have before submitting yourself to additional risks of a second surgery.  WLS is more successful than di3eting, but it's not a free-for-all.  It will still take some work.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes