Watery, Constant Diarrhea 7 Months Out?

psychedelicorigami
on 7/10/15 9:10 am, edited 7/10/15 9:13 am - Dallas, TX

Hi guys!

I was switched on 12/08/14 at 380 lbs and as of today, 07/10/15, I am 252, which is great!

Now onto the not-so-great part: I have violent diarrhea, several times as a day, as often as once every half hour on some days. The thing is - this happens even when I'm fasting. After two days of particularly intense, frequent diarrhea, I fasted yesterday with only water and Gatorade G2. The diarrhea continued all through the day, in the middle of the night, and so far today I've had to run to the bathroom with no control whatsoever every 20-30 minutes. There's some brown rice cooking, which I will be eating very soon.

Has anyone else experienced this?

larra
on 7/10/15 11:47 am - bay area, CA

If you have recently been on any antibiotics, it could be that you have C diff. Your doctor can have you tested for this.

If you have not been on antibiotics, it could be some other bacterial overgrowth in your colon that might respond to a short course of Flagyl.

Your surgery was fairly recent, you could also contact your surgeon for more advice.

Larra

Brandy G.
on 7/10/15 12:37 pm
DS on 08/20/14

Reading this triggered an old memory.  Did you get your gallbladder out at the same time as your DS surgery?  I had *very* similar symptoms after I had my gallbladder out, which happened a good 15 years before my DS.   It was a rare side effect of gallbladder surgery which lasted about a year.  The base problem was that my body wasn't doing a good job with the bile that the gallbladder used to handle.   I think there may be a drug for this now, but at the time I went through it, I found I had to carefully manage to keep a fairly constant inflow of fat to soak up the excess bile. 

I know this might have nothing to do with your situation, but I thought it was worth putting out there. 

From a DS perspective, I think the other poster is probably on the right track, but I would also make sure you are getting enough fiber.  I take fiber pills and at least one tablespoon of chia seeds every day.  You have to build those up slowly or else they can cause constipation, but I bet a little constipation would be a welcome relief to you right about now!  :-)

Good luck!

August 2014 - DS @ Mexicali Bariatric Center / Ungson.
It took me one and a half years to lose 165 pounds.
Weight: High=314, Goal=155, Current=131

Kim B.
on 7/11/15 8:23 pm - Mesa, AZ

I was going to ask the same question.  It sounds like a gallbladder issue.

bigmikebigfoothunter
on 7/12/15 7:09 pm
DS on 03/10/14

Hello I'm Mike , also just outside of Dallas I have delt with Gastro problems for quite some time. I feel like you may have a problem like others suggested with excess bile from your gallbladder . Mine was removed 3 weeks ago and just made problems worse. Ask your doctor about Cholestyramine that will bond with the bile and should help your problem. I'm not a medical professional so just advice as I am currently dealing with similar problem!!! Good luck

Valerie G.
on 7/22/15 4:48 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

It's definitely a cause for a call to the doc.  This should not be accepted as a normal way of life.  

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes