Dr. Perez in Cancun

Darice N.
on 7/10/15 6:20 am - Washington, AR
Lap Band on 08/08/05 with

Has anyone had the DS or a revision from lap band to DS with Dr. Hector Perez in Cancun, MX?

larra
on 7/10/15 8:38 am - bay area, CA

Over 10 years here on this forum and on other sites involving the DS, and I've never so much as heard of him. On his website (yes, I looked him up, which you should certainly do and not just ask here) he lists the operations he does as:

gastric banding

RNY gastric bypass

sleeve gastrectomy

revision surgery

That's it. He also has a laundry list of every bariatric surgery being done these days, but does NOT list the DS as one of the ones he personally does. This is not to say he's never done one, I have no idea, and he may be an excellent surgeon for other bariatric operations, but he doesn't appear to be someone who does the DS a lot. Maybe hardly ever.

The only DS surgeon in Mexico that most of us would recommend is Dr. Ungson. We know, for a fact, that he does the DS on a regular basis and gets excellent results. We know that he even trained at least one other surgeon to do the DS, which was the late Dr. Aceves, who sadly died in a plane crash last year. Yes, there are other surgeons in Mexico that people go to for different operations, but for the DS, you can't go to just anyone. It is a specialized operation.

btw, if you call the office of many surgeons, both in the USA and elsewhere, you will often be told something like "oh yes, Dr. X does ALL the different operations!" Sometimes it's because people will say anything to get you into the door, sometimes because the office staff doesn't even realize that there are operations their surgeon doesn't do. So you really do need to research carefully to make sure you aren't wasting your time and money.

Larra

Darice N.
on 7/10/15 8:46 am - Washington, AR
Lap Band on 08/08/05 with

OK. Thank you.

GIJane
on 7/13/15 8:50 am - San Francisco, CA

I had my DS done in Puerto Vallarta by Dr. Casteneda.  Mine was done on January 21 of this year.  Great Hospital. Great Doctor, absolutely no complications and extremely happy with my results and labs have been fine so far.  I am an RN with 30 years experience in Emergency Medicine.  I have only great this to say about him and yes, he does the DS.  

Valerie G.
on 7/13/15 9:37 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I second the Dr. Ungson recommendation.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes