RNY versus DS

BebeZed
on 7/4/15 12:14 am - Bellingham, WA

Your input is much appreciated! I still have a month or two before I can schedule surgery so I'm doing all the research I can. I still haven't decided but SADi is looking better. Thanks for your input. 

teresara
on 7/29/15 7:12 am - Miami, FL

Go for DS. Do your research . I did mine for over a year. Exhausted google search and all social media. RNY has a high failure rate compared to DS. 

BebeZed
on 7/29/15 8:16 am - Bellingham, WA

Definitely not going for RNY exactly because of the failure rate. I'm in the process of researching DS vs SADi, though... although I am leaning heavily toward the plain old DS because the long-term results are known, whereas there's not a lot on the single loop surgery. I still have a couple of months before I can even think about scheduling (can't take time off work right now) so I have time to research more. I am not jumping into this like I did with the lapband (or as someone else put it, the "crap band")  

So, what was your experience? I mean, how long did you feel absolutely crappy after surgery, have you had any complications or problems, are you happy with the results? 

teresara
on 7/29/15 2:43 pm - Miami, FL

I had my RNY back in 2000 and I was out of the hospital the very next day with no complications. 15 years later and after regaining almost all my weight back, I had the DS nine days ago (july 20) but I wasnt able to afford a laparoscopic revision so It was an open surgery, and the doctor required me to stay a week in the hospital. I had pain only the very first two hours after waking up ... like a menstrual cramp, and then went away. I kept pushing that morphine pump just in case lol. But everyone is different. Some cant deal with the pain and have a horrible time, or complications. I wish I had the DS back in 2000, but unfortunately its a surgery that is not practiced in every single state in this country. Seriously, lapbands and RNY should not be practiced anymore.lol..

BebeZed
on 7/29/15 3:07 pm - Bellingham, WA

Thanks for the info! I don't know about the RNY but the lapband definitely needs to go! lol  I had such high hopes and then it just sort of quit working for me, except for the random restriction where a single tiny bite of fully-chewed food gets stuck, making me run to the toilet. Lovely. I have a high pain threshhold so hopefully my experience will be similar to yours. I know with the lapband, the only issue I had is that everytime I vomited every time I tried to smoke a cigarette. I quit for good the 2nd day out - and that's the ONLY good thing the lapband did for me! I've got a good feeling about DS though...   

Good luck to you!