8th day after DS surgery, protein help needed

newwomanin2015
on 6/4/15 9:59 am

Hi, Everyone,

I did a ton of research on this site, which influenced my decision to get the DS. The last 6 months were spent working and waiting for insurance to approve while I jumped through their hoops so haven't been on as much.

Last Wednesday, had the surgery, and, other than horrible neck spasms when waking after naps due to head position during surgery, I have been recuperating well. Have had no problems getting the water needed, but, find the protein shakes so overly sweet that only have managed to drink them twice. Instead, have been eating creamed soups and have added unflavored whey to them to get a total of about 46 grams a day.

I thought the soft foods starting today would solve the problem, but, after scrambled eggs came back up within an hour (first time that's happened since the hospital) I went back to surgeon's instruction book to see what had been done wrong. That's when I read that they expected me to continue the shakes for at least 6 months to get all the protein needed! I see that with the small amounts we are able to ingest of the soft foods, even if all are protein, it would be difficult to get in the 80-100 grams daily they want. I have been able to comfortably eat a half bowl to a bowl of soup per meal without any issues.

I seem to remember reading something Diana wrote about not needing the shakes to get her protein once she left the hospital and would like to know how she and others have managed this. Everyone seems to love the shakes, but, even going to the store yesterday and walking past the puddings made me queasy due to the overly sweet smells. I am diabetic and have been having to avoid sugar for so long that it is relief to have it disgust me now. I know it's fake stuff in the protein shakes, but, don't like that either.

Please advise!

Thank you!

larra
on 6/4/15 11:05 am - bay area, CA

Lots of surgeons provide crappy post-op advice. In reality, your body has protein stores that will get you through the first few tough weeks when nothing goes down well. I didn't use protein shakes or drinks at all during that time and my labs remained fine. What DOES matter is that you stay hydrated, which is harder than it sounds. Focus on getting in enough fluids every day. If you can manage that you are doing just fine. It is counterproductive to eat or drink something that makes you so sick that you then can't drink anything for hours (that was my personal reaction to a protein shake, and it wasn't helpful at all).

So if scrambled egg doesn't go well, try soft boiled, or other soft, easy to manage foods like shrimp or scallops or tuna with lots of mayo. and you can use full fat mayo now, because you won't absorb most of the fat anyway. Egg drop soup is also a winner. I used Progresso soups and just didn't eat the solid stuff, but it tasted so much better than plain broth. Keep trying different things and you will find what works for you.

Larra

newwomanin2015
on 6/7/15 6:29 pm

Thanks, Larra!

GIJane
on 6/4/15 3:26 pm - San Francisco, CA

I too had trouble getting protein down.  I have found drinking Premier Protein, which I buy at Walmart or Sam's Club to be my best bet.  I can understand how you feel.  My surgery was at the end of January of this year.  I too, felt nauseated by the sweetness of the drinks.  I was determined to get the protein on board.  I found that just sipping on the protein drink, and sometimes cutting it with water helped.  I calculated my protein needs and became determined to just get it in over the 24 hour period.  You can add the amount of protein drink you have to your liquid intake.  

At first I just sipped on the drinks for each day.  Taking my vitamins etc and drinking water.  This took up most of my day every day.  Gradually I was able to achieve the protein goal, the vitamin goal and the fluid goal.  It did not happen overnight, but protein is critical.  Now, I have no trouble getting my protein on board.  A chicken drumstick is packed with protein.  So is fish, shrimp etc.  You will find you will not need the quantity you ate before the surgery.  It will eventually surprise you at how much you ate before the surgery.  You will feel better.  Things gradually improve with each and every day.  Take it slow and determined.  Good Lick.

newwomanin2015
on 6/7/15 6:29 pm

Thank you! The walking has been helping me a lot when feeling like I can't get any more water in, I go for a walk and that seems to rearrange things to make room.

Thanks for your reply!

MajorMom
on 6/5/15 3:00 am - VA

We've talked to our dietitian about recommending scrambled eggs and convinced her that most of us have issues with the density or texture, we do much better with poached, and later, deviled eggs. 

I know I'm one of those crazy people that love protein shakes but I've heard Unjury has some savory options in the form of chicken soup and such. I think if you can experiment using the unflavored protein, you might get ahead of the protein issue. Just be aware that most protein powder cooks and clumps above about 140 degrees, so mixing a powder in a cool liquid first and adding hot liquid on top might keep the concoction more edible. You shouldn't lose too much of the protein value eating or drinking warm protein if that is a concern.

Wishing you good luck.  : )

--gina 

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

newwomanin2015
on 6/7/15 6:24 pm

Thank you! Yes, scrambled eggs really was a surprise because thought they would be easiest and honestly, love all eggs, from quiches to omelets to hard boiled! I learned a lesson and have eaten more slippery foods since, like tilapia at Olive Garden yesterday. Thanks again for the reply.

(deactivated member)
on 6/5/15 4:16 pm

I take HumaPro powder (Mango or Sour grape) and HumaPro Protein Pills (5 pills = 25 grams). They have no calories, sugar etc. The powder is very small (thumbnail size) for 25 protein grams.

I tried Whey, Premier, etc but couldn't stand any of them. The HumaPro is available online and at the Vitamin Store.

newwomanin2015
on 6/7/15 6:18 pm

Thank you!

k__
on 8/11/15 9:23 am - Bellevue, WA
DS on 08/06/15

Have you had any labs done since using the HumaPro? I'm considering using it, since Premier Protein Chocolate is the only thing I can stomach the taste of to any degree and that's going to get old fast...