What do you tell people?

Shawnern
on 4/15/15 3:45 am - Rochester, MN

So in less than 5 months I have lost 130 pounds and I feel awesome! My diabetes is gone, cholesterol is awesome, triglycerides are awesome and my blood pressure is low. People ask me how I lost so much weight and I tell them and then I get a look of disappointment. What do you tell people especially skinny folks? I'm not ashamed and would do this again in a heartbeat but sick of folks judging me.

PeteA
on 4/15/15 5:12 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

Personally I tell people I had WLS, a DS, and that it is different from the gastric bypass. Mostly at 2 years out it is just a passing question not something people really want to get into details about. If you are going to be public about it, and there are plenty of people that are NOT public about it, then you have to learn to not pay attention to peoples misguided opinions. We all know it wasn't the easy way out but until you live it some people will just refuse to believe it.  

Shawnern
on 4/15/15 6:25 am - Rochester, MN

I usually don't give it a second thought what people think but for some reason this just bugs me. I don't volunteer my information but people ask 

NoreenRT
on 4/15/15 9:36 am - Warner Robins, GA

I am one of those whose WLS is extremely private. Maybe 4 ppl in my life know. My father doesn't even know.

When asked, I simply say " I watch what I eat". 

Noreen  HW 352 / SW 324 / CW 175/ LW/ 148 / GW 150   (achieved Aug 14 '11)

(deactivated member)
on 4/15/15 11:03 am

Same for me, "Don't ask, don't tell."

Jus****ching what I eat, paying attention to living healthy. A lot of people (most) don't understand the ordeal we go through with WLS, and will have a negative perception. Usually I don't care what others think, but to me this is a private health decision and no one else's business.

airbender
on 4/15/15 2:23 pm

welcome to people suck. ok so the reason they are asking you is, they know you had WLS but want to hear it from you. 130 lbs in 5 months, ya they know.   serioulsy who said your private life is their business? when you have wls they think you are week, stupid, etc you had to get surgery becasue you were too stupid to figure this out on your own?   it's too bad, I think more people should get surgery as only a small % that qualify actually get surgery.  There is a stigma attached to WLS like ohhh you did it that way, you go in for surgery, the day after you lost all the weight, very easy.  I have noticed it is not the "skinny folks" but the fat folks that are more judgemental especially the ones that have chosen not to get WLS, and I dont think they want anyone else to either.

If the medical community and lay people would understand and treat obesity as a true disease, as in type 2 diabetes (obesity and diabetes are very similar biochemically) then the stigma would be gone...but I don think that will happen in my lifetime.

If you have a specific question for me, PM me or I will not see it, as I don't check responses on the forums and don't have anything forwarded to my email.

AngelnChains
on 4/15/15 10:19 pm
DS on 11/17/14

Im 5 months out now and about 115 lbs lighter, they notice and I get some questions but Im honest because like others I dont care what they think. I had serious health issues arising and I needed help to lose. But then I will sometimes go on to explain that I had health issues, and that its not only surgery but a whole lifestyle change. If they cant accept that , its their problem not yours :) You didnt have surgery for them, you did this for you. 

Gwen M.
on 4/17/15 10:27 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I tell people that I've had WLS - I'm proud of taking my health into my own hands!  If they judge me, I judge them in return to be people that I don't need in my life.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Vicki PNW
on 4/19/15 11:21 am

I have not told a single soul that I have had any WLS.  I prefer it this way.

Vicki

DS (lap) with Dr. Clifford Deveney. Cholecystectomy (lap) with Dr. Clifford Deveney 19 months post-op.

Has not weighed myself since 1/2010.  Letting my clothes gauge my progress instead.

Irishnurse
on 4/20/15 1:06 am
DS on 04/17/13

It depends on the person. There are some people I tell and some I do not. I do not advertise it on FB. Usually it is just close friends, co-workers and family. I have received the same looks. If it is someone I do not want to know I just tell them I did the ketosis burn diet and eat healthy. It is a medical thing and personal. I do not like lying but some things are just too personal for certain people to know about. When a really heavy person asks me I almost always tell them hoping maybe it will help them. 

SW-340, CW-164, GW-150, 14 pounds to go...