Total Carbs vs. Net Carbs

MadFlo
on 4/11/15 5:00 am, edited 4/11/15 5:00 am - Chicago, IL

I was just wondering for anyone who counts there carb intake like I do, if you count total carbs or net carbs?

I have been counting total carbs, but have been trying to get more fiber into my diet but most high fiber items are high carb as well and is curious if I should count net carbs for those items or just continue to count total carbs and stay away from those items. I'm currently trying to stay under 50 grams of carbs a day. 

airbender
on 4/11/15 7:43 am

I think most everyone tracks their carbs, I only do total carbs, and stay away from net carbs,  be careful with net carbs when it comes to bars etc. you can pack on pounds that way

If you have a specific question for me, PM me or I will not see it, as I don't check responses on the forums and don't have anything forwarded to my email.

Chilipepper
on 4/11/15 4:03 pm

Total carbs for me. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

MajorMom
on 4/11/15 6:52 pm - VA

I count net carbs and have since I started doing Atkins back in the 1970s, but I agree about the fancy way the marketers are pushing net carbs in protein bars...I'm skeptical.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

MadFlo
on 4/13/15 6:45 am - Chicago, IL

Yeah the protein bars that I've been looking into are the Quest Bars that claim to usually have around 5 net carbs, but total carbs are in the 20's, as well as fiber. The protein is usually 30g which has made me wonder if counting the net carbs for this would matter because I can't justify eating half my carbs for the day in one protein bar. I do like the high fiber and low sugar aspect of them though. 

(deactivated member)
on 4/12/15 12:28 pm

I don't count or worry about carbs. As long as I get in the protein, water and vitamins, everything else is fair game.

PattyL
on 4/14/15 3:35 am

Honestly during the fast weight loss stage the only good carb is one you don't eat.  At least till you are 10% UNDER goal.  Then you have the rest of your life to play with carbs and find out how much you can eat without gaining.  Just lose the weight.  Don't run out of window before you run out of fat!

MajorMom
on 4/14/15 7:27 pm - VA

***Like***  

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Valerie G.
on 4/18/15 1:13 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

If you treat carbs as carbs, you know you'll be safe.  I never counted carbs at all.  Instead, I filled my stomach with protein and a little veggies, saving only a bite or two for something carby, be it some bread or a piece of cake, whatever I wanted.  With only a bite or two of room, I could satisfy a craving without feeling deprived or getting into trouble.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

southernlady5464
on 4/20/15 1:18 am

I learned to count ALL carbs back in the 90's due to y diabetes...and when on insulin it didn't matter to my blood sugar if it was fiber or not. And it was just EASIER to count all carbs.

I still do count all carbs.

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135