got approved...now what

chienpoo1
on 4/10/15 10:32 am

He guys, just wanted say after struggling to get approval for DS I finally got the call today from ND BCBC in Fargo. I am approved...I wanted to thank you all for giving me the courage and guidance to keep pushing and searching for a doctor  who listens. Throughout this journey I recieved advice, support and counsel to keep pushing. Now I'm approved. I am coming here seeking advise on what I should be preparing to to now. Based on the discussions I've read here..it is important to get a bone density test along with a stress test prior to surgery that way I can track my bone density after the surgery. I want to know what additional  tests should I request from the Methodist physician clinic/ Dr daniel Cronk's office?

airbender
on 4/10/15 11:28 am

congratulations!.  that question is subjective depending on many factors, you dont need a stress test (unless your EKG is abnormal etc for preop clearance) bone density won't hurt, and if you are ostepenic it will be good to know.  I would get all my blood work, to have my baseline and to increase your Vit D and mg and ca weeks before surgery if necessary

If you have a specific question for me, PM me or I will not see it, as I don't check responses on the forums and don't have anything forwarded to my email.

chienpoo1
on 4/10/15 11:46 am

good point.. i will be making an appointment for those very soon.

PeteA
on 4/13/15 1:02 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

The bone density (dexascan?) is probably the only thing you would need to ask about specifically. I think most Docs would not dot do that unless they see some other indicators that it is necessary.

I agree with Airbender that your regular pre-op blood tests will give you some areas to work on pre-op where you won't be fighting malabsorption to get your levels up.

Even before the test I would add a good multivitamin and 5k a day for vitamin D. Most people are chronically low on D so it won't hurt. 

Also, in the weeks before your liquid diet you may want to add extra protein to your diet. It helps with the healing process post-op (for any surgery).

Congrats,

Pete

chienpoo1
on 4/13/15 10:35 am

thank you for the awesome tip. I a going to put it into use.

Juliek2
on 4/17/15 9:14 am

Have you had the surgery yet? If so how are you doing? 

I am scheduled on May 5th, I'm excited nervous of side affects.

chienpoo1
on 4/17/15 11:37 am

i am certainly scared and excited as well. my surgery is scheduled for May 15th. i am soo nervous..I have my young son , don't want to think about the fears i am harboring, but i am looking forward to the procedure. Can you tell me.. who is your doctor?