VSG to DS with Dr. Ungson

(deactivated member)
on 4/9/15 5:30 am - LA

Hello All,

Any DS advice and experiences are greatly appreciated.

I was sleeved in August 2013, surgery day I was 286.  My lowest weight was 204.  I went back up to 235, I am now back down to 220 with extreme liquid dieting.  Trying to nip my weight gain in the bud.  DS surgery scheduled for 6/18/15.  Bad news is my home bariatric doctor wants to remove my gallbladder because very small gallstones were found on a recent ultrasound.  I know that Dr. Ungson can remove my gallbladder but it will be an additional amount and I can't afford it after spending $9,000 on the surgery itself.  It's April now so I'm not sure if I'll be eligible to get the DS if my gallbladder is taken out this month.  Any tips?

larra
on 4/9/15 5:41 am - bay area, CA

How much would Dr. Ungson charge for the additional surgery? It might be a very reasonable amount. I don't know what he charges or what might seem "reasonable" to you, just asking. Keep in mind also that if you get the surgery at home, there may be fees/co-pays, etc, as well as additional time off work (if you work) for you or someone to take care of you, and other expenses.

It's important that your gall bladder be removed either before or during your DS because if one of those tiny stones finds its way into the common bile duct, the usual way to get it out is a procedure that will no longer be possible after your DS. There are other ways to remove a stone from the duct but they are more difficult. Best to avoid the whole problem.

Larra

Star0210
on 4/9/15 6:38 am
DS on 11/28/14

I would certainly ask how much more to remove it. 

(deactivated member)
on 4/9/15 7:45 am - LA

I just got a quote from Dr. Ungson. They will charge me $500 more for the gallbladder removal. With my insurance it will be free, no copays no fees. Dr. Ungson says as long as I have the gallbladder removed 6 weeks before DS surgery, I will be fine.   I am just really nervous about having 2 major surgeries back to back. But also nervous about being resleeved, DS, & gallbladder all at one time. Ugh!!!  I will be doing pre op testing for gallbladder removal tomorrow.  I will ask my VSG Bariatric Doc what he thinks.  I know he'll frown upon going to Mexico for the DS.  

Star0210
on 4/9/15 2:48 pm
DS on 11/28/14

I would pay the $500 and just have it done in one surgery. But all things considered, gallbladder surgery is really easy from what I understand and even done outpatient most times. My best friend's gab surgery took all of 9 minutes.

ThanksgivingGrrl
on 4/9/15 11:09 am

Your gallbladder will probably be removed laparoscopically.  Mine was removed that way 6 years after my VBG.  I wish they had removed it when I had my first surgery.

airbender
on 4/9/15 8:22 pm

personally, for 500$ I would do it all at once, another anesthesia exposure is not worth the added risk, for me that is.  you want to give you body the best chance at recovery, doing the gallbladder removal at the same time as your DS is simple, the surgeon is already in there, you are already under etc. 

If you have a specific question for me, PM me or I will not see it, as I don't check responses on the forums and don't have anything forwarded to my email.

PattyL
on 4/10/15 6:07 am

It would be worth $500 to get it all done at once.  Why go through 2 surgeries and 2 recoveries back to back?