DS three years post VSG? Anyone have studies to share

Star0210
on 4/8/15 2:56 am
DS on 11/28/14

While I could have gone alone and been just fine, it was nice to have my hubby there with me to keep me company. By the third day, I was bored out of my mind. Bring something to do...iPad or a book or something. 

My advice is to walk walk walk and of course drink drink drink. That's how I spebt most of my time. I walked all throughout that hospital inside and out. Walked around the block and up and down the street. 

I have dealt very well with the surgery. I found it very easy. The drain was a bit uncomfortable and annoying and it was immediately better when they took it out. I have had no issues or complications other than constipation from the calcium I was taking. I switched kinds and that's much better now. 

I had a partial resleeve...but it wasn't because my sleeve had stretched out. the technique my first surgeon used left the bottom part of the stomach untouched and it was quite large. The top part was still in good shape.

good luck to you. I was very pleased with the whole experience and would do it again tomorrow!

(deactivated member)
on 4/8/15 3:52 am - LA

Thanks Star! I appreciate your help.  How much weight have you lost since your DS surgery?  Also did Dr. Ungson give good after care treatment.  As far as letting you know what vitamins to take & when working out was ok.  

PeteA
on 4/8/15 12:28 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

I can't add much to what Larra and Star have added. Just my own thoughts that the switch part would help you in several areas. It may, more permanently, keep diabetes at bay. Your weight loss eased your diabetes but many people walk away from the switch part with the diabetes cleared up before they have any significant weight loss. This happened with me.

I was unable to move around much or exercise the first 18-20 months post-op and my weight loss was still stellar. I had a foot ulcer and I had to keep pressure off the bottom of my foot. I attribute this to the malabsorption from the switch part. This might be especially helpful with your arthritis issues. I also consider the malabsorption a significant plus in preventing regain which was a big plus for me. Not a certainty but we are all playing with percentages to make the best decision possible.

I hope this works out for you. Good luck.

Pete

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

nicholivolkoff
on 4/10/15 10:25 am - Canada

I did that, please see my blog to find out more. I am a total DS fail here. VSG went well for a good while, then I lost my job and became sedentary, regained. So I got a full DS, still gained after that. Then a partial resleeve, gained after that too!! No I don't sit here drinking chocolate shakes or eating chips all day.