DS three years post VSG? Anyone have studies to share

PaulaToronto
on 4/7/15 3:49 am - Toronto, Canada

I am doing some research on adding the DS to my sleeve. Would love to hear from anyone who did this and what their success was like and or any studies you guys can direct me too.

My concern is that adding the DS at this stage may not make a big difference in my weight. Since this will be out of pocket I need to research whether it is worth doing.

Currently, in order to lose I need to eat no more than 800 calorie, low carb.  I cannot do much exercise due do severe arthritis in back and hips.  I cannot seem to maintain this longer than one month - I might lose 3-5 pounds in that month and then I binge because of the strict restriction.

Originally I planned on DS (some of you oldies but goodies might remember me).  I got diagnosed with diabetes and put on three different meds one of which helped me lose some weight.  I lost 65 pounds before surgery and thought at that point the VSG would be enough to lose the last 100.  It was but now I am gaining and am really struggling with my next steps.  I know that I am probably only 10-15 pounds away from full blown diabetes again so for that reason alone the DS would help me.

Thanks, Paula

P.S.  I am in Ontario Canada and there is no follow up with surgeons here and bariatric centers not of much help this far out.

Highest W 312   Referral W 252   Surgery W 237   CW 156  Height 5'6"            

larra
on 4/7/15 8:47 am - bay area, CA

Paula, I don't know of any specific studies in the medical literature on the question you asked, but I do know that we are seeing new people all the time looking to revise from lap band, VSG and even gastric bypass due to inadequate weight loss and/or significant weight regain. You are definitely not alone, and in fact the AMSBS is now acknowledging the legitimacy of revision bariatric surgery.

I've seen people do very well after revision from VSG to DS. Of course that's anecdotal and not a proper study, but it's all I got. Some people do need a re-sleeve along with adding the "switch" part of the DS because their sleeves have stretched out with time, so you may need to be evaluated for this possibility. Weight loss might be slower than with a virgin DS, but it sounds like what you have now, which requires a strict low calorie/low carb and probably low fat diet just to maintain, let alone lose weight, is not sustainable for the long term.

I will also send you a pm.

Larra

PaulaToronto
on 4/7/15 9:48 am - Toronto, Canada

My restriction is still pretty good 2.5 ounces of steak tonight filled me up.  I would like to know what the DS portion would do to help my metabolism if anything.  I had a 34 bougie for the sleeve.  I don't even know whether I could eat enough for a DS unless I am adding slider foods like nuts and fruit.  White carbs have never been an issue for me.

larra
on 4/7/15 10:08 am - bay area, CA

Adding the switch would probably do a lot for your metabolism. First, it would give you a significant degree of caloric malabsorption. With your sleeve you don't have any malabsorption, just restriction. Next, there are many metabolic changes that the switch gives people, not all of them completely understood.

As Star mentioned, the weight loss would probably be slower than with the sleeve alone. On the other hand, at this point you are not losing weight at all with your sleeve, and in danger of regaining instead despite what sounds like a major effort on your part. No one can guarantee you a specific result with any bariatric surgery, including the DS. Not everyone gets to a normal weight. But statistically, people with the DS do lose a greater percentage of their excess weight than with any other bariatric surgery, AND do better with maintaining that weight loss, which is extremely important. The DS also has the highest rates of resolution for almost all comorbidities. It's not just about weight loss, after all.

Larra

Star0210
on 4/7/15 8:59 am
DS on 11/28/14

I had the sleeve in April 2010. Ended up with a regain of about 50 lbs. and it wasn't because I went back to bad eating habits. 

Oh I did indulge here and there in things that weren't the best for me...but for the most part I ate next to nothing and broke my metabolism.  I tried going back to basics and couldn't lose a lb. 

i revised to the DS back on 11/28/2014. I also had a partial resleeve. I was 196 the day of surgery. Today I'm 167...I e been playing with the same 2 lbs for the last month. The loss is super slow. I'm trying to eat more. 

Live had no issues or complications. I switch the type of calcium I was taking as it was constipating me badly. That situation is much improved now.

im only 5'2" and I'd like to get down to a normal BMI.

i was also self pay. My insurance doesn't cover any type of WLS. I went to Dr. Ungson in Mexico.

PaulaToronto
on 4/7/15 9:45 am - Toronto, Canada

Can I ask what length common channel Dr. Ungson used for you?  Did he have much to say about whether the DS would help your metabolism?  What were his predictions re weight loss per month when you have the DS portion several years after VSG. Thanks.  I still have good restriction but my metabolism is shot - I do have thyroid and parathyroid issues and meds haven't helped with weight loss or energy.

Star0210
on 4/8/15 2:48 am
DS on 11/28/14

He typically does a 100cm common channel unless your intestines are longer than 7m then he does 40% of it. I believe that's what my literature says. 

I didn't have any discussions with him around expected loss. I knew it was going to be slow. 

This is just my theory, I have no scientific data to back this up. My diet has not significantly changed from the way it was before my revision. I was always very carb conscious with an emphasis on protein first. The only thing is that I'm trying to add more fat to my diet. I think without that big shock to our system with a LOT less calories and major change in way of eating, the loss can't be anything BUT slow.

i have seen other revisioners lose very quickly, and I don't know their stories, but just observationally, they had regained more and were bigger by the time they had their revision and had perhaps gone back to a pre-surgery way of eating. So when they did have revision surgery, there was more of that shock factor to their bodies.

PaulaToronto
on 4/9/15 7:10 am - Toronto, Canada

Thanks Star, how has your diet changed since the DS.  How many calories are you eating and are you still counting carbs.  I see that many people eat over 3000 calories.  I don't think I could eat that many.  Currently I eat 800 to 1000 with at least 80 grams of protein and less than 50 grams of carb.  What would a typical day look like for you food wise.  I already drink one protein drink per day to get in my protein requirements. Do you get all your protein from food?

Are you very much into exercise?  With my age and arthritis I am very limited so really can't depend on exercise to help me much. 

Did you have any idea how much more a month supplements are costing you?  Thanks for your help.

cbennett29679
on 4/10/15 6:17 am

New to the forums. What does the 100cm channel in a DS mean?  Looking to have a revision done in Mexico this summer, VSG to DS.

(deactivated member)
on 4/7/15 10:10 pm - LA

Hi Star,

I will be undergoing the DS surgery with Dr. Ungson in Mexico on 6/18.  Is there any advice you can give me.  I will be traveling alone.  Also, how have you adapted to the surgery?  I am unsure if I will need to be resleeved since I am only 2 years out.  Sleeve may not have stretched out yet.  Any tips & advice would be highly appreciated.