How hard is it to get in to see Dr. Crookes for a possible emergency follow up appointment?

barrelracinbroke
on 4/4/15 12:56 pm

I had DS surgery on 2/18/2000 with Dr. Anthone when he was at USC. Two years later, I had a revision with my common channel lengthened due to too much weight loss (also Dr. Anthone).

Recently, I've been feeling ill and having hard time wanting to eat and I'm losing weight rapidly. I'm very close to being too thin again and can't seem to stop losing weight. I am very worried and would like to get in to see Dr. Crookes. I plan on calling USC on Monday about scheduling an appointment. How hard is he to get in to? If he's booked out a for more than a week or so, I'm worried about my health. I live about an hour and half from USC, if I had to, could I go to the ER there? Is Dr. Crookes or other surgeons familiar with the DS on call?

I've also had a couple of other issues over the years, including high oxalate levels in urine (still there), kidney stones, etc. I take my vitamins but that's about it. I'm hoping they've learned a lot more about how to treat these issues since my surgery 15 years ago. As I don't want my kidneys to continue to be affected by this.

I appreciate any support you may offer. I've always loved my surgery but these health issues are causing me panic attacks.

Thank you in advance.

MajorMom
on 4/4/15 7:47 pm - VA

I don't know how it works where you are but I wish you all the best getting in to see Dr Crookes. Please take care and keep us posted.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

barrelracinbroke
on 4/5/15 1:45 am

Thank you MajorMom.  I appreciate your reply. Do you happen to know if other bariatric surgeons would be able to help me? Are the ones who generally perform the RNY well versed on things that we DSr's may need for malnutrition or high oxalate issues? I'm wondering this in case I can't get in to Dr. Crookes soon enough.

Thank you again.

larra
on 4/5/15 3:03 am - bay area, CA

I don't know whether or not Dr. Crookes has retired or is still at USC. If you are unable to see him, I strongly recommend Dr. Ara Keshishian in Glendale, hopefully not too much further from your home. He is an excellent DS surgeon and also does revision surgeries, so he does see patients who started out with other surgeons all the time.

Larra

barrelracinbroke
on 4/5/15 3:15 am

Thank you so much for the referral Larra!! Do you happen to know know if Dr. Keshishian is capable to get a relatively fast appointment with? I need to be seen quickly. Don't feel well and was another 2lbs lighter this morning, putting me at 125lbs. Getting scary thin. Hoping to get in to see someone in the next couple of days.

(deactivated member)
on 4/9/15 3:19 am - los angeles, CA

Dr. Kathkouda is in the same office as Dr. Crookes.  Give them a call and keep us posted.