Losing faith. Revision vets, I need encouragement!

Zee Starrlite
on 3/11/15 5:39 am

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

Star0210
on 3/10/15 1:56 pm, edited 3/10/15 1:56 pm
DS on 11/28/14

I'm only a little over 3 months out from my VSG to DS with partial resleeve. Yes the loss is much slower this time around, but I'm a lightweight too. I was 196 the day of surgery and today I'm at 169.

i wouldn't know whether I could tolerate bread pasta or rice because I don't eat them....AT ALL. haven't even considered trying to. Same for potatoes of any kind. I also don't eat fruit. 

I track everything I eat in myfitnesspal. It's mo hassle at all for me to use. I scan barcodes or search for a list and hubby and I build recipes when we make something. It's super easy. 

I stay under 30g of total carbs per day. I aim for 100g of protein, 100g of fat, and under 30g of carbs. 

Keep following the program and start tracking...you'll likely be surprised at what your numbers look like.

good luck to you!

MotivatedMomma
on 3/11/15 1:10 am
DS on 10/20/14

Yep, tracking is what the overall theme is here, and I know I need to do it.  I will find some surprises, I am sure.  Just by tracking water I found I am not getting nearly as much as I thought I was.  So I know there's a real benefit in that.

I know a revision is slower weight loss.  And I really do not eat breads and rice etc, which is why is so frustrating to not be losing.  I don't mind the slow loss, as long as it's still happening.  It's the "nothing" that is bothering me. 

Thank you for your kind words!

Mary_J
on 3/11/15 4:45 am

Do what works . . . high fat, high protein, low carbs with plenty of water. I didn't seem specific numbers in your post, but personally my numbers would be 100+ grams of protein, 150+grams of fat, < 50 net carbs. Regardless of how small your stomach is, carbs are not hard to get. But usually the worst culprit early out is not getting enough of the protein, fat, and fluid.

Zee Starrlite
on 3/11/15 4:59 am

I totally believe you will reach goal if you keep doing what is needed.   Your surgeon seems to encourage you to eat simple carbs - that is the weirdest suggestion.  Even with no stomach I believe you can still eat much crackers & pretzels - makes morning poos worse I suppose.  Small sleeve= acid reflux.  Did you have a surgery prior VSG?

All Best,

Layla

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

PeteA
on 3/13/15 5:55 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

Just a little more to think about. I think tracking is your best bet. When I slow down or stop I can usually see the carb increase in my diet when I am tracking. Just like the water and the protein you can't really know the carbs until you track every little thing.

Having said that, at 211, you are 36 pounds from your goal weight, and over 70% of the way (EWL%) to your goal weight in 4.5 months. 225 at Christmas to 211 at mid march is still 3 or 4 pounds a month. That's really not so bad on your way to goal. As long as you are tracking it might be that you are being too hard on yourself. A lot of Docs talk about a 12 - 18 month window for steady weight loss so don't get depressed. It's natural that things will get slower the closer you get to goal.

Stalled at 211 from some time in January so maybe an 8 week actual stall?  Switching up with carbs for a couple of days or trying to add more fat to your diet might help get though that. I saw someone else mentioned that and I agree, if you are at a plateau it might help. Some people respond pretty favorably to specifically adding extra fat to their diet. 

Yes - malabsorption forever, which is a good thing. At 2 years out only some of my BM's are bad enough to clear the house so ther eis some hope there. 

Keep working on it - don't let a lack of perceived progress throw you off track. You've done great so far. Congrats on that.  

Pete

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

Heylove
on 3/14/15 10:19 pm

I agree with Airbender regarding exercise.  If you do not have any physical limitations, and have been cleared by your doctor, then GO FOR IT!  I had RNY in 2003 and was losing great until about 4 or 5 months out.  I met with a personal trainer just one time, to show me things I could do at home.  Voila, 125 pounds lost by 9 months post-op.  I then had three babies in three years, and continued to keep it off (+/- 15 pounds****il 10 years post-op, with a heavy emphasis on exercise.

And then, it happened.  I stopped working out 2 hours per day, and over the course of the last two years or so, I gained 100 pounds back, to the point that it was just too painful and exhausting to get with an exercise routine again.  

I just had my revision to DS two days ago, and can't wait to get physically active again!

(Typing with a pulse-ox on,  is difficult! hahhaha)

Douglas R.
on 3/17/15 9:40 am

Marlena - BIG congradulations on your successful revision with Dr. Keshishian!