Questions.

larra
on 3/7/15 9:17 am - bay area, CA

Kat, either you were misinformed or you misunderstood. As Brandy pointed out, if anything you would get a sleeve as the first part of a 2 part DS, not RNY. In fact, it is extremely difficult and high risk to revise RNY to DS, and there are only a few surgeons who do that revision. On the other hand, the sleeve is part of any DS, so you would just need to have the switch part added later.

Dr. Hong is known to do the DS in one operation, though of course there are cir****tances that make this either impossible or too high risk. I would strongly advise you to push for consultation with him to learn for sure what your options are, and not take the word of anyone at any clinic over the phone. If he feels you are too big for him to do a one-stage DS, that's unfortunately because there are other surgeons who do this even on people much bigger than you, but so be it. He's your Ontario option. On the other hand, if you do lose a lot of weight, haven't had any prior abdominal surgery, etc, maybe he could at least try to do a one-stage. but if you don't start out with him, you will not have even the opportunity for this.

I don't know anything about the Dr. Neville that someone else mentioned, the one in Ottawa. Is Ottawa an option for you? If so, you could see if you could arrange for your care with her instead of the clinic you were assigned to.

But no matter what, don't settle for an operation like RNY unless it's what you want, because if you do, that is what you'll be stuck with for the rest of your life.

Larra

(deactivated member)
on 3/7/15 9:49 am - Orillia, Canada

Hey,

No I don't want an RNY at all. I want the sleeve if I have to end up doing a 2 part surgery. However I am going to wait for my appointments with HRRH and tell them what I want and then have them refer me over to Dr. Hong if possible. 

Karen M.
on 3/10/15 3:58 am - Mississauga, Canada

Neville isn't performing the DS in Ontario as far as I know, only the RNY and VSG.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

SWEETMEL7
on 3/8/15 7:46 am - NY

Hi! One of the reasons I didn't opt for the RNY was because I have many friends who did and wasn't pleased with the surgery at all. Most gained back the weight bc it made there sugar low and when you have low sugar you eat sugar to bring the level back to normal!!

Karen M.
on 3/10/15 3:57 am - Mississauga, Canada

Sorry, that makes no sense. I don't know anyone at all who purposefully had RNY in order to revise to DS. Doesn't happen and clearly there was misinformation given or taken here.

They most certainly DO perform a virgin DS - I know people who have it.  I think waiting and talking to the folks at HRRH with your desire for a referral to Dr. Hong in Hamilton is the way to go. DR. HONG will advise you, not whomever you spoke with on the phone who obviously is confused.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/