I *hate* the DS .vs. SADI debate...

Pianolover
on 2/27/15 1:46 pm

I don't understand why there needs to be a debate on which one is better or more effective.....every single person's body is unique and different. For some people, operations like the Lap-band are completely effective and help them keep the weight off. For others of us, that would not help at all. There is no cookie cutter surgery that is right for everyone. That's why we do research, ask around for information from people who have had the surgery, consider what kind of lifestyle we want afterwards and then make a decision what is best for us.

I'm still in the pre-op phase, but went to my surgeon and said I was thinking of the duodenal switch. He suggested the option of doing the SA-DS (which I had never heard of), but we came to the conclusion that I could still get the kind of weight loss I need with this surgery as opposed to the traditional DS. The traditional DS, although proven to give amazing long term weight loss also comes with a greater risk of malnutrition and unpleasant symptoms such as diarrhea and foul smelling stools because of the shorter CC. I made this informed decision after researching all my options and considering a recommendation from an experienced surgeon I trust.

SWEETMEL7
on 2/27/15 11:00 pm - NY

Hi! GM. I believe what works for one person may not work for another! As long as the surgeon is honest with what  procedure he is going to do on the patient then thats all you can ask for! 

SWEETMEL7
on 2/27/15 11:03 pm - NY

Bariatric facts has a SADI forum and I think it is pretty good! They also have a DS forum!  

SWEETMEL7
on 2/27/15 11:09 pm - NY

The funny thing I observed I was informed to stay on a low fat and high protein food plan.in the last three/four months this wasnt working for me. The meal plan for the SADI and DS are similar!   

Brandy G.
on 2/28/15 5:17 am
DS on 08/20/14

I've decided the thing I hate isn't the DS .vs. SADI debate, but the fact that this debate sneaks into every thread.  Like this thread. 

And the reason why I hate it is because it is a very complex subject and one of the most important decisions that a person will ever make.  The actual medical details deserve more respect than to be tacked on to the end of an administration thread and boil down to a few newbies quoting some random surgeon that really like and who gave them hope and that they seriously want to believe in.  No offence to the newbies, I'm only six months past surgery and still one myself. 

I think this one forum in OH is the nexus for DS surgery.  It seems to be the place where people first get a glance at this world.  I stay involved here because I want to help pave the road behind me and I feel like allowing the confusion of two very different surgeries who sometimes share a similar name is a horrible thing to continue.  It is a disservice.  It's like if there was only one forum called "Heart Surgery" and the difference between an angioplasty and a bypass was allowed to be obscured by medical terminology that newbies won't know.  It's the questions you don't know to ask that always get you in the end. 

I also think that the SADI people are not serviced well here.  "Like a DS" is not a DS.  Always getting skewed information is not in their best interest.  I wonder how they might help each other if all the noise generated by traditional DS people went away? 

On a different front, I just realized this whole thing was a little personal for me and I hadn't put that together.  My aunt was a brave pioneer that had weight loss surgery in the 1970's and "was never the same afterwards."  It killed her about a few years later but she never stopped working to share her experiences and make things safer for those who followed.  IMHO, The people that get the SADI now are on that same experimental road and if they want to claim that their surgery is the best they should gather in such a way that they can be studied and their claims verified like my brave aunt did.  Now that I know that I've got grief for my aunt mixed in to this debate I can let it go. 

Thanks! 

August 2014 - DS @ Mexicali Bariatric Center / Ungson.
It took me one and a half years to lose 165 pounds.
Weight: High=314, Goal=155, Current=131

AngelnChains
on 3/1/15 4:05 am
DS on 11/17/14