Hit my goal weight today!

A_Whole_New_Me
on 2/27/15 6:23 am

Thanks everyone for your congratulations.

Here’s some background that hopefully addresses your questions. Sorry for the lengthy response but it feels important to say:

Prior to having the VSG in April 2010 and having kept off more than 50lbs for more than 20 years - I took over 300 units of insulin a day; had extremely elevated liver enzymes (my mum died of liver cancer and I’m a 2 time cancer survivor, so that was really scary for me); I had high blood pressure, high triglycerides, and, very painful joint pain after walking or standing.

A little over a year after getting the sleeve, I was injured in a car accident. I was nearing my (then) goal but proceeded to gain 68 lbs (largely from a medication to treat the brain injury and limited ability to exercise with spinal injuries, I believe).

I researched the DS, had delays while I got accepted on Medicare and saved for my surgeon’s additional program fees (no small feat when you live on disability) and had the DS on January 23, 2014.

Would I do it again? Yes, definitely!  I know I have the best chance at keeping the weight off permanently (and do not feel deprived or hungry).

My biggest concerns going into the DS were “bathroom” issues…would the stench keep me from travelling with anyone? Would I have chronic diarrhea? Would I have horrendous gas? …None of that has happened. In fact, without adequate water intake or high enough fat intake, I’d still be constipated.

I love having freedom in my body! I needed to know I would have the best chance at having vitality to an advanced age.

Everyone’s experience is different, but, for me, the downsizes have been:

I metabolize pain medicate differently post DS - which was excruciating after the 8 spinal fusions I had last summer.  It was very difficult to get adequate pain management – I was treated as though I was mentally ill or an addict. And, this was at a facility that performs the DS and I had provided all departments with information about the DS so they would understand my needs!

I now have high oxalate levels which is an indicator that my body is likely to produce kidney stones. Giving up spinach, chocolate and nuts has been difficult. And, now I have to be very careful to take the right combination and types of minerals to help my body flush them from my body.

Since having the DS (but not related to), I have been diagnosed with macular degeneration and glaucoma. Because of our fat malabsorption, I can’t just purchase one of the standard AHREDS eye supplements as they are softgels. It took some research but I put together optimal levels of dry versions of those supplements.

My supplements cost more than $200 a month.  I used Vitalady’s supplement regime as a starting point and have added a number of other supplements to address my specific health issues. Your costs would like be considerably less.

Sometimes it’s a bit of drag to always keep on top of protein intake and supplements but for the most part, that’s no longer an issue. It feels weird to always be mindful to eat every 2 or 3 hours (but, hey, I’m not complaining!).

Tricia

airbender
on 2/27/15 7:29 pm

congrats!! excellent progress and also going in for plastics, continued success....

If you have a specific question for me, PM me or I will not see it, as I don't check responses on the forums and don't have anything forwarded to my email.

SWEETMEL7
on 2/28/15 8:45 pm - NY

Congratulations! Enjoy the moment!It is well deserved!!

SWEETMEL7
on 3/3/15 1:24 pm - NY

Hi! Congrats!!!! It is an amazing   feeling   getting   to your   goal weight ! !!

Kathy S.
on 3/4/15 3:21 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Susan D.
on 3/6/15 9:00 am - Topeka, KS
DS on 07/31/14

Congratulations! That is just wonderful!!

Kathy S.
on 3/7/15 1:31 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi Tricia,

If you have not done so be sure and submit your before and after photos to the Before and After Gallery to share with all our members.

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130