I had my DS 7 years ago!

buffalobillsfan
on 2/26/15 7:03 am - CA

Hi Nicolle!  Great to "see" you again!  I'm so glad things are going so well for you still.  Don't be a stranger! 

Cheers,

Cathy

Nicolle
on 2/26/15 7:12 pm

Oh, Cathy, it is so good to see you too! I hope everything is going well for you. I will try to swing back and see your update soon! Can't wait!

Nicolle

I had the kick-butt duodenal switch (DS)!

HW: 344 lbs      CW: 150 lbs

Type 2 diabetes and sleep apnea GONE!

lovelyd
on 2/26/15 2:42 pm

Hi,

Thank you for the information.  I am planning on having a revision next week but have not decided between the re-sleeve or the DS.  It was suggested by the coordinator that for long lasting results; I have the DS.  I have read so many frightening negative effects that I am sort of afraid.  I read you developed stones.  Plus taking 8 vitamines a day.  I can hardly take my anti depressant.  That is another conern of mine. 

Please tell me a little about your post-op and how you felt.

Thank you,

Nicolle
on 2/26/15 6:56 pm

Well, you have already experienced the side effect that I dreaded the most: regain. Going through all of this, just to regain the weight, seems like a bad outcome to me. If the sleeve did not work for you already, why would you think that it would work a second time? I would encourage you to think about that.

Also, with your sleeve, you should be taking some sort of vitamins now--it is difficult to imagine that you were able to get in enough nutrition through food alone to be healthy. Most people I know who have NOT had any form of bariatric surgery also take vitamins, some even take more vitamins than I do!

To keep me kidney stone-free, my surgeon suggested I drink more water and take more calcium. That was five years ago and it has worked like a charm. It seems a very small price to pay in order to have this lifestyle and good health. I take 11 vitamins a day, in four batches. Again it's a very small price to pay for this incredible second chance at life.

My post-op experience was uneventful. For the first few days I felt sore and tired and took the pain medication the surgeon prescribed. For the first month I was very tired. I would do a little activity then need to rest, do a little activity and need to rest again. At that time I was a stay-at-home mom, with little kids, so I hired a babysitter to help when my husband wasn't home for a couple weeks. And then like a light switch was turned on, my energy returned times 10! I had the feeling that someone installed a jet pack on my back. I was high energy could do anything, felt amazing!

I did experience something that a lot of people on this board have experienced, which is an increased level of hormones. I felt very emotional in the first couple months after my surgery. I had such road rage at one point that I didn't even want to get into the car. 

I did a fairly good job of capturing my post op experience on my OH profile. You can shoot me a private message and I will allow you access so you can read all about it.

Best of luck to you,

Nicolle

I had the kick-butt duodenal switch (DS)!

HW: 344 lbs      CW: 150 lbs

Type 2 diabetes and sleep apnea GONE!

PattyL
on 2/27/15 3:19 am

Hi there!  Nice to see you around and hear you are still doing well!

shona67
on 3/12/15 1:01 am - Lancaster, TX
Thanks I needed to read this. I had RNY dec 2005 & DS March 22, 2015 & I'm scared because I Dnt know what to expect. Reading you blog helped me
sunshine1968
on 3/13/16 6:53 pm

Hi there! Congrats on your success!!! That is so wonderful. If you don't mind my asking, what size sleeve and common channel did you have and do you limit the amount of carbs that you eat on a daily basis? I'm curious as to what your protein and fat intake look like. I had my DS surgery in 2013 and I never got down to goal. The lowest I got was 185 and then I put back on 20+ lbs and I'm only 5'3. That said, I was over 300 lbs when I began. I have had some struggles with carbs and I'm trying to get them under control and increase my fat and protein. I am just wondering how much is me and how much is the surgery part of the problem. My doc was a one size fits all guy and the sleeve he started us out with was 5 oz and common channel 100. I'm working on getting my protein and fat intake higher and limiting my carbs to 50g but was wondering if you have any words of advice. In the early days out of my surgery I felt like a normal person for the first time in my life. I got full-which I don't get much often now-and I was losing weight it hour even trying. Things are much different now. I feel like I have to diet again or at least live on an Atkins diet. Just wondering if this is the norm. Thank you for you time and congrats again on your amazing success.