Surgery Date Set - nervous about pre-op, op, post-op and everything that goes along with DS...

nami35
on 2/19/15 6:53 am

I would love any suggestions to get over a lil anxiety.  I am excited about the surgery, but nervous at the same time.  I believe I am strong enough and have enough knowldege.  But, is there something you would recommend to do beforehand other than what doctors say?  Should I do grocery shopping, clean my whole house? Live on the 1st floor.  Will I be able to take care of myself after the 1st week or so? 
I would like to lose about 250 lbs.  Does it hurt like crazy or just like cramps?  Does anybody out there not have super saggy skin after the DS?  Should I make an appointment with a therapist now? I dont want to get addicted to drugs and alcohol.  What does sipping actually mean?  I know that's a silly question, but I am stumped. 
I love ice cold beverages.  Does that mean if I ever take a gulp I will throw up?  How will I kbnow I drank too much water?  Is this just a listening to my body type of thing.  Now, I like doing bikram yoga.  Will I not be able to do that for 10 weeks after surgery?  I have more questions, but I need to get back to work.  Somebody please respond!

Valerie G.
on 2/19/15 12:21 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

Slow down and BREATHE!

Do everything now to get your home ready for doing NOTHING for a few weeks.  I went through a complete nesting syndrome, myself, and it really did enable me to relax and heal. 

• Clean home from top to bottom
    • Get several single servings of different brands and flavors of protein drinks.  Do not taste them until after you've had surgery.
    • Depending on what your doc gives you about post-op eating, you can get some staples to keep on hand, like yogurt, broth, soups, cottage cheese, refried beans, butter, hot and cold beverages (temp can make a difference and may change)
    • Line up someone to check in on you to see what you need.  YOu can likely handle recovery just fine on your own, but you may want some extra groceries and help doing laundry or other chores for a couple weeks until you're off pain meds and able to drive.
    • Get a 64oz bottle with a straw to keep with you at all times.
    • If you feel you have addictive tendencies, by all means contact a counselor.

I was on pain meds for about a week upon returning home, then I was just extremely uncomfortable, and took pain meds only to help me sleep at night through the discomfort.  For drinking, you will not be able to drink more than a sip or two at a time.  Any more than that can get very uncomfortable and you'll figure it out easily.  You love ice cold today, but you may prefer warm or room temp later.  Have a variety of beverage options to choose from, too.  What you love today may not appeal to you later, so have plenty of backup choices.

Yoga for 10 weeks is a great idea, for yoga works your core muscles, and you don't want to bust out a hernia.  You shouldn't push/pull/lift more than 8 lbs for 8 weeks, but do baby your core as long as you can.

Another recommendation is a reclining chair, especially living alone.  Beds can be difficult to get in and out of for some, so the reclining chair was just the ticket for the first week for many. 

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

larra
on 2/20/15 1:20 am - bay area, CA

Val gave you great advice. I'll add just a couple things:

You're biggest problem will be drinking not enough water, not too much. You will be amazed at how difficult it is at first to get in your liquids. Try different temperatures - you may find ice cold doesn't go well at first. Try different brands of water, different soups, etc. You will figure out how to sip because your new, healing sleeve won't let you do anything else. It's a big adjustment ahead of you, but you can do it.

Anyone who loses the kind of weight you are hoping to lose will have saggy skin. That's just how it is, and it's annoying but a huge improvement over carrying around all that weight and it can be fixed with plastics at some point. So yes, it will happen, but it's for the best.

Yoga sounds great. It's important to walk and get moving as your recover.

I will also send you a pm, so be on the lookout for it.

Larra

PeteA
on 2/20/15 6:09 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

All good advice. Look at your Doctor's post-op diet and stock up on what you can. I too was on pain meds for about a week after I got home. I thought of it more like I did wayyyy too many situps. It took me along time to be comfortable laying in bed (I sleep on my side so that may have been the cause). I spent the first 3 weeks at home sleeping in my recliner.

When you are sipping post-op also try different temperatures of liquids. I couldn't stand cold liquids at first and sipped tea and broth. I also didn't like plain water (still not a fan) so I had some Propel zero, gatorade G2, and powerade zero to drink too.

It's normal enough to be in a little bit of a panic just try and get past the worst. I used to read the archives here just to keep my mind occupied. SOme of it even came in handy later on although nothing sharpens your mind more than being a new post-op.

I couldn't take a full swallow for a couple of months - it just hurt too much. I eventually got to the point where I could take a mouthful at a time and can now drink fairly normal although still not able to guzzle like pre-op. 

I had no problem taking care of myself once I got home. Not that there weren't a few moments I wondered what the heck I got myself into. It will be fine. Congrats and have a save surgery.

Pete

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

hedgie
on 2/21/15 6:40 am - Orlando, FL

I just had the surgery a couple weeks ago so the "new" experience is fresh in my head.

PAIN: The pain was terrible the first few days but the meds definitely take the edge off. I walked a lot as soon as I could so the hospital released me after four days as opposed to five. Walking wasn't painful, but getting into a walking position was definitely uncomfortable.  They'll encourage you to use your arms to pull you into a sitting/upright position to take the pressure off our tummy. It definitely helped to have a headboard I could grab to pull myself out of bed once I got home. Since I've been home, I didn't need to use much pain med and never needed the anti-nausea medication they prescribed.

NAUSEA: I dry-heaved A LOT with the naso-gastro tube in. It was so bad and constant they removed it the second day (they planned to keep it in for several days). I haven't had an instance of nausea since the tube was removed. Unlike what others have mentioned, I haven't had any food aversions since surgery. Things that tasted good to be before still taste good.

GLAD I DID BEFORE: I'm so glad I stocked up on sugar-free Popsicles and crystal light lemonade packets; they've been a lifesaver. I also had tomato soup and cream of chicken (picked out the chicken pieces) at the ready. I also enjoy V-8 juice. Before I went in for surgery I cleaned, made my bed comfortable, and did all my shopping, which only included up to the full-protein liquid stage. I was able to care for myself since I've been home from the hospital but it definitely helps to have someone to assist with pulling you up, getting things on occasion, making sure you're ok in general.

WHAT I LEARNED SO FAR: You'll eat/drink more than your stomach can comfortably hold BEFORE you realize it, so eat or drink slowly! Take some time in between each single gulp or bite to give it a chance to go down. Once you overdo it you'll know - it's a very uncomfortable bloating feeling, feeling like you have to burp but can't, or like you have to vomit but can't. The feeling passes but it's not pleasant. My advice is to avoid that situation altogether and savor each bite.  Almost two weeks out and I'm just now starting to get in all my liquids and proteins. All in all, I'd say it's not as bad as I was worried it would be!