hollykim
on 2/24/15 12:14 pm, edited 2/24/15 12:22 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

Deleted for double post

hollykim
on 2/24/15 12:19 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On February 24, 2015 at 7:48 PM Pacific Time, LngRedRose wrote:

So why were you revised!? Eating carbs? Not accountable? Are you in therapy?

I chose a revision because I could not lose any more weight,DESPITE being well on plan. 

I am addicted to carbs and pretty much have to work a 12 step plan where they are concerned. I have fallen off the wagon in the past,but I have still lost 118# and have maintained that loss. 

I have been I therapy in the past but am not currently having any. It is not easy and I have come to realize it will be a life long job for. Me.

LngRedRose
on 2/25/15 5:09 am

Sadly at this point, I could starve a week and not lose one ounce.  :( :( :( 

hollykim
on 2/25/15 11:29 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

I know what you mean. Like someone else posted,DSers can't eat carbs and not gain cause carbs are absorbed 100%. If it is a problem with not being able to stay away from carbs then the DS is not going to help. 

That was th point to my questions. It is possible you don't need a revision if you are able to stay on plan and avoid carbs. Your vsg might work fine then and it. Might not. I have no way of knowing. 

In the interest of total honesty,I was not given a true DS. I was given a SADI instead. There is another post on this forum detailing that. I will be going in March for a revision to a true DS. I urge you to be very careful when pursuing a revision and make sure the surgeon doesn't try to sell you on a SADI. I lost only 12# after having it!despite being totally and I mean!TOTALLY on plan. It also has the potential to cause bile reflux,which I have developed. That is the main reason I am revising. 

It is still an experimental procedure in the US and not covered by insurance. Surgeons are getting around that issue by coding the procedure in a way that makes it appear to be something the insurance will cover.  Be very careful and very aware of what you are being told. The SADI is often called a "single loop" DS.

LngRedRose
on 2/26/15 12:59 am

Thanks for the info!  I have never heard of the SADI but I will mention it to my surgeon when I go next month!  :)

beemerbeeper
on 2/24/15 10:41 am - AL

Best thing I ever did. You can't eat carbs and expect to mAintain the weight loss but if you stay dedicated to a low carb, moderate fat and high protein diet you can loose to goal and stay there. You have to become a self advocate and not trust docs and nutritionists with your life. You have to learn about labs and supplements and ideally find a veteran DSer to mentor you. Supplements and labs are for life. It is unfortunate that most of the surgeons and PCPs know nothing about what it takes to be healthy with this much malabsorption but there are plenty of vets who can help you. The folks who say "I trust my doc who says I can take two fllinstones and be fine" are doomed. 

And I repeat. Best thing I ever did. 

dS 9/30/09. Dr Smith in Georgia. I haven't had any communication with him or his staff since I was three months out. 

LngRedRose
on 2/25/15 5:05 am

Thanks!  I appreciate your response! :)

Star0210
on 2/24/15 9:25 pm
DS on 11/28/14

I had VSG in 2010 and revised to DS 3 months ago.

i had lost 120 lbs with my sleeve and then gained 50 back. My metabolism was so messed up that I couldn't lost a lb..not even by going back to basics and only eating 600-800 calories per day. I was always very carb conscious but I had stopped tracking and I know I was eating more of them than I should. I did very rarely have a small bit of rice, bread, pasta, or potatoes...but like I said..VERY RARELY. we don't even have those things in our house. 

I don't have them at all now. I'm sure at some point in the future I may have them again on occasion. 

The he loss since my revision is very slow..but I was a lightweight to start and slow loss is expected so I'm not bothered by it. I was 196 the day of my revision and as of last Friday I was 172. 

I have zero regrets and no real issues. I'm following the vitalady DS vitamin regime. I'm having my 3 month labs drawn this week or next and will see where I am. I've had 3 episodes of painful gas and bloating and I'm staying away from those things that caused it although I will try them again a bit down the road to see if I have the same reaction. I did have some pretty bad constipation earlier on and it was from the calcium supplements. I've stopped taking oral calcium and I'm doing a 3 month test of the patches. Haven't had a problem with constipation since.

i aim for 100g of protein, 100g of fat, and I stay under 30g of total carbs per day. I'm doing fine on the protein and carbs, but not so great on getting in enough fat but I'm working on it.

So far, I can't say there are any negatives. I did a ton of research beforehand, so I knew exactly what I was getting into. 

Good luck!

LngRedRose
on 2/25/15 5:07 am

Thanks!  To be honest, I wasn't nervous about the sleeve at all.  I felt it was pretty much non-invasive.  I am more concerned about the DS because of the extensiveness of the surgery.  I have an appt next month for a consult.  I am tired of starving and not losing even a lb.

band07sleeve13
on 3/7/15 6:48 am

Do you still have any restriction with your sleeve?  I was a lapband patient, converted to the sleeve and gained 10lbs!  I have no restriction and didn't loose any of my appetite, I requested xray pics and it is very obvious that my sleeve is much bigger than it should be at this point.  I'm looking into being "resleeved"  Have you had yours checked out to see if it has stretched?