Protein and Carb question for the vets

twodelight
on 2/23/15 3:10 am - Atlanta, GA

I'm almost 5 years out in September and since January I have cut back on bread chips sweets and certain vegetables to get my gas issues under control. I like oatmeal and wanted to know if oatmeal gives us problems. So far I have none but will have gas one time in the evening and that's it but I'm cool with that just but wanted to know if yall have problems with oatmeal. 

Also, have yall heard of Keifer liquid protein that's in the dairy section? It has 12g of protein. Just wanted to know the affect on the body. 

Please let me know your thoughts 

Della

Valerie G.
on 2/23/15 5:24 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Everyone is different with these items, that's for sure.  I know that it kills some people, while for othere, it may be the sugar that they add to the oatmeal.  Finding your gas culprits can be so tricky though.

I had thought I had everything figued out and had accepted that evening gas was just the way of my life.  One day while traveling for work, though, I had the most delicious French onion soup with dinner.  I was up and down all night at the bathroom with diarrhea, which brought about an epiphany.  Onions were a staple in my diet.  I ate onions with everything...raw, cooked, carmelized, you name it.  I eliminated onions from my diet and 90% of my gas problems.

Other things to take into consideration are artificial sweeteners, straight milk, whey protein, and certain condiments, like terriyaki of all things.  These are some of my discoveries.

As for kefir.  I love it, but if you're watching sugar intake, it can be unacceptably high for some.  It not only is a great source of protein, but also priobiotics.  I know that some make kefir themselves to control the sugar content.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

twodelight
on 2/23/15 7:50 am - Atlanta, GA

Thanks for your response. I was looking to increase my protein and kefir was suggested. I already take the probiotic cutruel but everything helps. 

Valerie G.
on 2/23/15 8:06 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Ricotta cheese is my favorite protein boost.  I make it sweet for a dessert or savory for a meal.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

on 2/23/15 12:51 pm

Kefir gives me bad gas and makes my poo smell more than it used to

VSG TO DS REVISION