5 years post op - dx of chiliaditi syndrome???

ticker74
on 2/20/15 5:45 am

Hello Everyone, 

I wanted to see if anyone else had been diagnosed with Chilaiditi Syndrome after having the DS?  I'm five years out and have had no issues at all until three days ago when I ended up in the ER and was released today after multiple tests and a diagnosis of CS and Pneumoperitoneum.  Apparently this is due to the colon being moved during surgery and being left detached to move in the abdomen and slip up and over the liver.  I had an amazing doctor, Dr Stewart, and am just looking for any info I can find on this!  Thank you for any info anyone has! 

larra
on 2/20/15 8:28 am - bay area, CA

I did a Google search and you can find lots of references at places like WedMD and Wikipedia. It is described as a rare symdrome where part of the colon is located above the liver, but the cause is unknown. It usually causes no symptoms according to what I read, though it can cause symptoms as you experienced. It is "often", whatever that means, seen as an incidental findng in "the elderly", meaning that these people have probably lived with it for years without problem.

Whether it was caused, in your case, by your having prior abdominal surgery, I have no idea.

Larra

ticker74
on 2/20/15 10:00 am

Larra, 

I did Google it but was looking for real live information from other DS patients who might have come across this issue.  It is reportedly common after bariatric surgery - per the surgical team due to movement of the colon.  Just wondered if anyone has had or heard of this being a complication with the DS.  

Valerie G.
on 2/20/15 11:08 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

It cannot be that terribly common if I've never heard of it in the past 10 years here on this site.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

MsBatt
on 2/21/15 2:22 am

I've never heard of the colon being involved in ANY form of bariatric surgery. The DS only involves the SMALL intestine, not the colon. Are you certain you understood them correctly?

ticker74
on 2/21/15 4:25 am

Yes, they didn't imply that the colon was part of the surgery itself...only that it is moved during the surgery, detaching it from its place and someone's reattached.  I will presume that no one has heard of it.  Thanks for your input!