6 mo out and I had a donut.

Brandy G.
on 2/16/15 6:42 am
DS on 08/20/14

And it was good.  I ate about 80% of it and I was done.  And, weirdly, I didn't get any kind of digestive reaction.  That bodes well for my future I think.

The mind blowing thing was that before surgery I ***loved*** donuts.  I'm surprised I didn't sign my name "Mrs. Brandy Donut", there were occasionally better than sex, better than anything.  And now they are good, but they are just food.  This is the miracle of the DS.  It strips away the cravings and emotions and so in many ways I feel like this donut was really the first one I've ever really eaten.  The first one that wasn't bigger and more meaningful than it actually was. 

I had decided before my surgery just to stay away from bread and flour products for my first year.  "Not this year" has been my mantra and I hadn't taken more than a few bites of anything flour based in my six months past surgery.  But I was curious how my body would handle it.  I think I wanted a morality play -- I would eat the donut and then be sick all night.  But nope, the only downside was that I didn't meet my protein goal that day.  I would have been just as happy eating some meat with a rich sauce, I think.  But one day isn't going to hurt me.  I also lost around three pounds this week, like usual.  Oh, and three days later I had some Wendy's chili, which my body has tolerated well for the last three months and that threw me into a bloated gassy session.  Seems like the one constant about eating post-DS is that there are no constants. 

I remember going into my pre-surgery diet thinking about how I would never eat anything good again so I thought I would post about this.  I'm not sure what my lesson should be.  I think I still would feel better if I had gotten sick from it.  Now I have to count on my own willpower. 

August 2014 - DS @ Mexicali Bariatric Center / Ungson.
It took me one and a half years to lose 165 pounds.
Weight: High=314, Goal=155, Current=131

Star0210
on 2/16/15 1:23 pm
DS on 11/28/14

It does seem to be ever changing...I think my intestines are finally realizing they've been altered.

ive had asparagus several times with no issues but tonight I'm bloated and gassy and that's the only thing it can be.

its quite fascinating really.

Valerie G.
on 2/16/15 9:24 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

I, too, love Wendy's Chili, but if it's made with too many onions, I'll get the same reaction you had.  Onions were a staple in my home all of my life, and after years of accepting evening gas as a way of life, an evening on the toilet after the most delicious french onion soup I've ever tasted made the connection for me.  Onions were the cause of much of my gas everyday and many nights getting up to poo.  I can handle a minimal amount, but am VERY careful these days. 

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

K P.
on 2/17/15 8:34 am
DS on 07/08/14

I want to hate you right now I am so jealous. To an extent. I have those lovely digestive problems. It sucks, but on the other hand its a blessing for me. I know for me personally having the negative effect of carbs has really made me open my eyes and be very mindful of what I eat. But some days, just thinking of a nice piece of sourdough or a dark chocolate truffle makes me salivate, then I remember the pain ill get, so I just look at them and imagine the taste. 

It is so amazing to me how our bodies react differently daily sometimes! Who knows, next time a donut may put you out of commision all day, maybe even the exact same kind, just like wendys chili. I cant even do beans because of the carbs. I know you can still stick to it. Your willpower is different now - I know mine is. And I find that I dont beat myself like I used to, I just say, tomorrow will be better and it is :)

Take care, and you can do this! 

HW 284; SW 270; CW 152; Revised GW 140-160  

Douglas R.
on 2/18/15 1:32 am

I got a kick out of your post and agree that we all need a normal treat once in a while. Keep positive and on that road to health. Nothing tastes as good as thin feels!