Calories Per Day over time

(deactivated member)
on 2/14/15 1:46 pm

Hi - I'm curious about peoples experience with calories per day over a period of time. I use MyFitnessPal to help track what I eat each day, and generally get 50 grams of protein from non caloric sources (powder & pills). As I've lost weight, my suggested calories per day has drop to reflect the current weight range. (fyi - I'm a 54 yr old male so I realize there will be adjustments for age, sex, etc).

I'm just over 3 months post surgery and I've steadily increased to about 850 calories per day with a range between 600 and 1,000. I always get in the vitamins and protein so regardless of calories, I make sure it reach the required threshold.

The weight loss has slowed slightly but still about 3+ pounds per week. Does the calorie per day range increase to normal over a year or so?

K P.
on 2/14/15 2:39 pm
DS on 07/08/14

Hi there, I started as a 280, 5'5" female and my goal has always been 90 grams of protein. My nut suggested it might go down slightly as I lost weight but my Dr said no, 90 will always be my goal. 

At 4 months out my Dr wanted me to increase to 1,500 calories a day. I said no way José and have shot of 1,250 since. I was loosing 5 lbs a week  (I did have a nasty case of C-Diff though). Since then I have focused on getting that many calories, and it's been a struggle. I have always been honest with my Dr and staff though, so they know what's going on and why.

I alway**** my protein goal. I may not hit my calorie goal daily, some days I'm at 800, some days im at 1,300, but regardless I don't go to bed withoutnhiting that 90 mark. My Dr was not satisfied with me loosing 3lbs a week, so unfortunately I cut out exercise. Boy is that a struggle I never thought I'd have! The one where I have to seriously not working out because I literally cannot eat the extra calories I need! But for now I am at 2-3 lbs a week, and am keeping the Dr's concerns minimal. Good blood work has helped for sure, I'm about 35lbs from goal and am not really slowing down, so I am starting to seriously think about what is going to happen when I meet goal, but that's another day 😀

Anyway, the point of this whole thing is to say, shoot for your protein goal and hit that before you worry about calories. I'm not sure what your protein goal is but I get 30 of my 90 from a shake. 

Best of luck and keep up the good work!

HW 284; SW 270; CW 152; Revised GW 140-160  

(deactivated member)
on 2/15/15 10:08 am

Thanks for your reply. Sounds like you've done really well with the weight loss. I'm guessing the exercise will become important again for you soon.

Valerie G.
on 2/14/15 11:19 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

I swear some days I may get over 3000 calories, since I try to get all of my calories from food.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

(deactivated member)
on 2/15/15 10:12 am

Thanks, I wasn't sure it would be physically possible to eat 3k calories again, so I guess that answers one question.

I am also curious about the whether there is a substantial health difference between getting your protein and calories from food versus protein shakes, pills, etc. My guess it's always better to get nutrition from a natural source, but it's probably better for long term weight loss to continue with the protein supplements, and limit the calories to some max number.  

PattyL
on 2/15/15 1:42 am

Calories don't matter much.  You will actually lose more, faster if you eat high fat, high protein, and as close to no carbs as possible.  If you want to track something, track carbs.  As long as you are eating mostly fat and protein there is nothing wrong with that adding up to 3K calories per day.

The DS is a different mindset.  You don't absorb much of what you eat so calories are not calories.

ladybug513
on 2/15/15 3:26 am - NY

I am about 21 months out and eat 2500-4000 calories per day and have been maintaining for a year at my goal.  For whatever reason, I am able to eat a lot of sugar/bad carbs without consequence or gas.  I still get all of my protein at least 90 grams per day all from food and try to be mindful of bad carbs.  My labs are good.  Funny though, I seem to get very bloated when I eat straight Atkins style so adding bad carbs actually helps me keep my weight in check.

You are about at 6 months...you'll be able to eat more eventually...having a DS and eating only 850 or 1200 calories is not healthy since we do not absorb most of what we eat.

My bathroom habits have gotten better also within the last few months -- less frequent and more solid.

As most will agree on this board, YMMV (your miles may vary).

First goal 120.0: 12/7/13  Final goal 115.0 (114.6):  2/6/14  

5'3  SW: 199 (12/11/11)  Current: 114.8 pounds  18% body fat   BMI: 20.3           

(deactivated member)
on 2/15/15 10:13 am

How long did it take post surgery to get to 3k calories a day. Right now, my stomach would explode at half that.

ladybug513
on 2/15/15 9:12 pm - NY

About 10 months to a year...however, most of my calories come from high fat proteins.

First goal 120.0: 12/7/13  Final goal 115.0 (114.6):  2/6/14  

5'3  SW: 199 (12/11/11)  Current: 114.8 pounds  18% body fat   BMI: 20.3           

PeteA
on 2/15/15 3:25 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

Sorry, No help here. I only track protein and liquids. Calories can take care of themselves as long as I mam eating protein first.

I'm just curious as to what a non-caloric source of protein is? Even my 100% whey protein powder has calories.

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.