Hello everyone my 11 month update

bigmikebigfoothunter
on 2/11/15 12:21 am
DS on 03/10/14

Well it's been a while since I have posted just wanted to give an update for all my friends. So for the good part I have now gone from highest weight of 478 pounds to 229 pounds in eleven months. I'm very happy with my weight loss however I have had many challenges. 3 weeks ago my appendix ruptured and I almost died. Just got out of hospital 3 days ago. Didn't even think I had an appendix because I never asked my surgeon. I guess he's one of the few that left mine in as well as my gall bladder. So if anyone else has their DS please ask your surgeon about this. 

Also I still deal with daily terrible hemorrhoid problems that persist even after surgery in October. I wish more than anything that this would somehow go away but I think I will be dealing with it forever. I've even had a Crs tell me that unless I reverse my DS I will never have a normal colon. I guess I'm just one of the unlucky ones.

Well im very thankful to be alive, no longer have sleep apnea or high blood pressure and I am only 12 pounds from my surgeons goal weight for me of 217 wich I feel I will reach soon. I actually have the strange fear that I will keep losing. I'm hoping this next year it slows down. Thanks as always for all of your support, I read this forum weekly just don't post as much because I've had a lot of bad luck that I don't want others to assume will happen to them.

This forum is very important to me, I feel like Drs. Don't know nearly enough about our after surgery lives and it's great to know we have this forum to figure out what's really going on with our lives! Good luck to everyone- Mike

dustycroy
on 2/11/15 3:32 am
DS on 05/14/13
Did you ask about having them operated on... Sometimes if one Dr. wont help you then you might have to search for one that can... Trust me when I say "they" all have their own way of thinking about things....

enlightened HW 372 SW 350 CW 185 GW 150 Lost 187 so far....

bigmikebigfoothunter
on 2/11/15 4:58 am
DS on 03/10/14

Yes, I already had surgery on them just 4 months ago, however I'm not giving up I'm going to keep trying new DRs until someone can figure out what's going on!

PeteA
on 2/11/15 5:01 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

Sure sounds like challenges to me. Geez a ruptured appendix - doesn't sound good but I'm glad you are out of the hospital.

Aside from the remaining hemorrhoid issue it sounds like you are doing great. I'm just at that point now at 22 months. I had those thoughts about losing too much but it's really slowed down so I'm not really worried anymore. I think I can level it off by changing my eating habits.

My Doc left appendix and gall bladder - I'm hoping they both stay healthy....

If you want could you expand a little on why the CRS thought your DS colon is causing the Heme
problems. Something to do with acidity or consistency? That just sucks - but I agree with the other comment about getting another CRS opinion just to be sure. I know it is an awful problem to have to live with.

Mine have thankfully not returned and now that the abscesses and fistula surgery are behind me things seem to be going pretty well down there. I hope that doesn't jinx it.

I started swimming laps at the Y beginning of the year - my big NSV.

Pete

bigmikebigfoothunter
on 2/11/15 5:21 am
DS on 03/10/14

Good to hear from u Pete! U have kinda been my mentor through this whole process, I am going to see a new CRS and see what they have to say I have seen 4 I think and they seem to think my body doesn't handle this rapid digestive process after the DS. All I know is it seems to be getting worse as time goes by. I am glad that you seem to be doing well, my family and I are also joining the Y this month I really need to start exercising to build some strength back up, I have not exercised any over this last year there's been so many other problems but I'm hoping now I can get started.

PeteA
on 2/11/15 11:07 pm - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

WOw that sounds pretty vague to me but that is the Dr. Roller Coaster. Some times they are definitely reaching instead of coming up with real answers.

I hope you get a chance to start working out a little. It just gave me a sense that I got part of my life back to be able to do something that has been missing for years and years.

Feel better,

Pete

dustycroy
on 2/12/15 2:09 am
DS on 05/14/13
can I ask if you are on Vitaladys plan? If yes then we need to talk....

enlightened HW 372 SW 350 CW 185 GW 150 Lost 187 so far....

bigmikebigfoothunter
on 2/12/15 2:17 am
DS on 03/10/14

No I'm not on the plan I just take 4 multivitamins , calcium citrate and vitamin D , I sent u a friend request hope you may have some insight, thanks, mike

Brandy G.
on 2/16/15 3:55 am
DS on 08/20/14

I read about a lady that was taking twice the folic acid as was recommended and had unreal problems with acid poop.   Perhaps trying a different multivitamin combination would be worth it. 

August 2014 - DS @ Mexicali Bariatric Center / Ungson.
It took me one and a half years to lose 165 pounds.
Weight: High=314, Goal=155, Current=131

Shawnern
on 2/12/15 2:42 am - Rochester, MN

Wow! First of all congratulations on your success, you really rocked it! Sorry to hear about your challenges along the way. A ruptured Appendix is scary that's for sure. I hope your new doc can figure something out for you. Keep up the awesome work!

Shawn