My experience with the SADI

hollykim
on 2/8/15 8:05 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

I believe I was given the SADI instead of a full DS,by Dr. Ponce de Leon. When I. Had what I had requested to. Be a DS,I had never heard or seen anything about a SADI. 

I asked him before the surgery,about the lengths of common channel,etc and he said through translation "I am just going to plug it right in" .having never heard of the SADI,I didn't know enough to ask what do you mean?

surgery went fine,got home and started on the typical high protein/fat diet. I lost 12 lbs and then the loss completely stopped,even though I was WELL on plan,nearly no carbs. 

I began seeing /reading about the SAID and after seeing the diagrams and the descriptions of it,  and putting two and two together,with his "plug it in "comment,I came to the conclusion that is what I was given. 

That was in  March 2013. End of 2014, I begin having,what I thought was an increase in acid reflux. Had an EGD an upper GI and a barium swallow and after providing my gastro with the best info/diagram of the SADI,and seeing the X-rays,he said it is a single anastomoses procedure,very much like the BIlLROTH II procedure. 

One of the side effects of the BIlLROTH II,is BILE reflux and he did see bile staining in my sleeve/intestines. That is what is now reflux ing along with the acid;bile. Great. He gave me Questran,which binds up

the bile and removes it and that is a God send. 

I do have many things that happen  as with. The true DS:stinky gas and poops with carbs and sugar. I also mal  absorb  medication. In December,I became so anemic,I had to have a blood transfusion and two rounds of iron infusions. 

I have also developed another hiatal hernia. If /when it becomes problematic enough to get it repaired,I plan to consult Dr. Ungson in Mexicalli about the possibility of revising the SADI to a full DS. I would like very much to get rid of the bile reflux and lost the additional 50# I wanted to. Lose when I had what I thought was a DS in 2013. 

Someone who is tetchy,please feel free to save this post somewhere and pull it out to post when someone asks about the SADI. I am very untechy. :)

larra
on 2/8/15 9:56 am - bay area, CA

I am very sorry this happened to you, and hope you will be able to be converted to a real DS by Dr. Ungson. His reputation is excellent. He does (I believe) do both the SADI and the DS, but I would think that he would be honest with you and provide you with a real DS, esp since you already have the SADI and are having both complications and inadequate weight loss.

Those of us who have been around the DS community for a long time are constantly telling self-pay people that the only DS surgeon we would recommend in Mexico is Dr. Ungson. We did recommend Dr. Aceves as well, but sadly he passed away. When things go wrong in a foreign country, often there is no recourse. People need to be careful in the USA as well, but even more careful abroad.

Larra

hollykim
on 2/8/15 10:01 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

thanks,I really thought Dr. Ponce was ethical enough ans skilled enough to do the  bypass part of a DS because I already had a sleeve. 

I learned my. Lesson this time though and it will be dr. Ungson or no one.

on 2/15/15 4:01 am

Kim maybe Dr ponce gave you a longer channel, because he did not want you to lose too much weight this is just my two cents.

VSG TO DS REVISION 

hollykim
on 2/15/15 5:29 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

yeah,I thought of that too, and it is entirely possible. I really really hate the bile reflux that has happened because of whatever I got.

on 2/15/15 8:51 am

I have read that acid reflux happens a lot to people that has done the gastric sleeve. This is the reason why so many chose the RNY, acid reflux is more common with Sleevers. Anyway hope you get it resolved soon. All the best Kim.

VSG TO DS REVISION 

hollykim
on 2/16/15 12:19 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

no,it is not acid reflux. it is BILE reflux. They are two completely different things. I already had acid reflux or GERD,before the SADI,and now I have developed BILE reflux,from the SADI procedure. 

JazzyOne9254
on 2/16/15 12:27 am

I have a classic DS, and I was warned that it would not cure my GERD.  I am on prescription omeprazole for life.  It may work the same way for the SADI.

I think it was a small price to pay to get the #1 most effective weight loss surgery.

The top half of the DS is the gastric sleeve, also known at VSG (vertical sleeve gastrectomy). Reflux happens because the  bile has nowhere to pool once it empties into the stomach from the gall bladder, so as the stomach churns, the acid and bile "splashes" upward into the esophagus.  

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

hollykim
on 2/16/15 3:13 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

I am well aware of this. I have had my VSG for 6 years. I have had ACID reflux that has been well managed. 

The BILE reflux is new,just since having the SADI. Bile staining was shown on an EGD after the SADI ,it never before ,and I have an EGD every two years,so we knows has not been happening.

I thought like you,that the ongoing,managed acid reflux was a small price to pay for the long term weight managenent of the DS.  With the SADI,I got the not so good parts of the DS but not the malabsorption of food. 

Jackie
Multiplepetmom

on 2/8/15 11:29 pm

HollyKim, so sorry to hear this happened to you, it's HORRIBLE when surgeons think they can do whatever the hell they want. 

once upon a time I had a group to talk about Binge Eating Disorder, and later one about Clean Eating.

PM me if you are interested in either of these.

size 8, life is great