Extra Skin Vs. Plastic Surgery

Tonya E.
on 2/5/15 12:33 pm

I am 31 years old, and had my DS surgery on January 7th of 2013. I weighed 356 lb. going into surgery with many health issues. Since than I am no 175 lb. and feeling good for the first time in my life. I exercise and eat right, and try to stay active, but for some reason I can not seem to tighten the skin in my arms, stomach, and legs. I have a hard time wearing tank tops and shorts because of the extra skin, and feel very self conscious. I was told that a plastic surgeon wouldn't even talk to me until two years after my surgery.. So my question is, does anyone know of a good surgeon in or around the Idaho area? and How bad is it really? I have heard that getting the extra skin removed is really really painful, but I have also heard it is not so bad as long as you stay up on your pain meds. Any information dealing with cost, post op, and suggestions on surgeons would be greatly helpful. Thank you. 

You are braver than you think, stronger than you believe, and more beautiful than you could ever imagine!     
Karamay
on 2/5/15 9:45 pm - NJ
DS on 12/18/12

Hello & congratulations on the weight loss!!  I had DS surgery over 2 years ago, lost all of my excess weight & have been at a stable weight for about 1 year.  I had the same issues with excess skin & there is no way to exercise it away...unfortunately the only way to truly get rid of it is to undergo skin removal surgery.  I had my first & only consult with Dr. Joseph Capella in Ramsey, NJ about 1.5 years after my DS surgery.  Do not believe that plastic surgeons will not 'talk' to you until 2 years after surgery.  Most just require that you are at a stable/good weight for you...also it may take time to decide on the procedures you want to have done. 

I had plastic surgery exactly 8 weeks ago (Dec 11, 2014) to remove exess skin.  I had a lower body lift (with muscle tightening), arm lift & breast lift (no augmentation) all in one 6 hour surgery where he removed 5 lbs of fat & tissue.  I do not want to scare you...but also do not want to mislead you either...  My results are FANTASTIC & had no real complications...BUT it was very painful & I needed ALOT of help afterwards to go to the bathroom, take showers, dress myself, etc...  I was on percocets & tylenol w/codeine for a good 3 weeks & they made the pain somewhat bearable...but I'd still rate the pain a 9 out of 10.  I 'turned the corner' about 2 weeks ago when my energy finally came back.  The cost for everything...surgeon's fees, hospital, anesthesiologist, revisions afterwards (if needed), lab fees, etc... was $19,500.  You will find if you do enough research that for a US doctor...that is an AWESOME price!  You could go to Mexico with Dr. Sauceda, which I have heard wonderful things about, & probably have all of that done for $13,000-$14,000, but you would have to check with him.  I had seriously considered having my surgery with him, but with Dr. Capella being a world-class plastic surgeon with a practice that specializes only in post-bariatric patients & just an amazingly nice man & doctor, right here in my 'back-yard' for only a little bit more money & if there were complications...someone I could turn to immediately & get help...I knew staying in the US was the only real answer for me!  I know I am rambling...but I am just trying to get it all out! 

Sorry...I do not know of any plastic surgeons in Idaho, but if you post this on the plastic surgery forum, you will probably get more advice.

Good Luck!

DS (Lap) on 12/18/12 w/ Dr. Onopchenko, HW- 242, SW- 231, GW- 130  Height - 5'3"

Tonya E.
on 2/6/15 12:10 am

Thank you so much for your reply! It answered a lot of questions for me. I was told by several people that if I would just exercise more that it would go away on it's own. And that it takes a good couple of years for everything to tighten back up. There is a lot left that has to "tighten" up and I just don't see it happening. I heard about the Dr. in Mexico too, but I am like you, I'd like someone local incase I needed help with something after. You said the pain was pretty high, how would you compare it to after DS surgery? For me that was the worst pain I'd ever gone threw so I try to compare things to it. Thanks again for all the info! 

You are braver than you think, stronger than you believe, and more beautiful than you could ever imagine!     
Karamay
on 2/6/15 12:28 am - NJ
DS on 12/18/12

I have had 3 other abdominal surgeries...2 C-sections & the DS (laproscopically)....I'd rate the pain from those at about a 3-4 out of 10.  Again, don't want to scare you....but there is no comparison to the pain between the plastic surgery vs. the other 3 surgeries.  The skin removal surgery was in a completely different league of its own!!  I thought...OK, it's only skin...shouldn't hurt too much....boy was I wrong!  With all that I had done...especially the arms...it was painful.  My surgeon was liberal with the pain meds..so that helped alot, but I did underestimate the pain level & the lack of movement afterwards.  What surprised me the most was that the 360 degree incision of the LBL did not & still does not hurt at all....you are so numb!  Also, the recovery from these surgeries, in my experience, was not 'linear'....meaing I usually heal & feel a bit better everyday.  With the skin removal surgeries, I'd feel OK one day & then back to feeling horrible the next. 

I know I sound a bit negative & this is only reflecting my experience...I am sure others have better/different/worse recoveries, but my outcome is AWESOME & worth every bit of the pain!  My body has NEVER looked so good.  I keep joking to my husband that I have the boobs of a 15 year old!!!   I also have a VERY flat tummy with NO muffin top and my arms are 'sleek' & I definitely will be wearing sleeveless shirts this summer!  WOHOO!!

DS (Lap) on 12/18/12 w/ Dr. Onopchenko, HW- 242, SW- 231, GW- 130  Height - 5'3"

Valerie G.
on 2/6/15 10:19 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

There is no exercise that will tighten the skin, which has been permanently damaged, so exercise simply because it's good for your soul.

I wear lycra whenever confidence is important, like at work.  My nekkid figure ain't pretty, but I can strategically camoflague a rockin clothed figure.  Being 45, I don't sweat the swingin stuff, because most women my age are on their way down.  I just consider myself advanced.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

larra
on 2/6/15 11:02 am - bay area, CA

Exercise builds muscle. It doesn't unstretch skin. Anyone who told you otherwise didn't know what they were talking about.

Whether or not to have plastic surgery to remove excess skin is a very personal decision. Do it for yourself if you do it, not for someone else, and make sure you choose a plastic surgeon who is experienced specifically with operating on patients who have undergone massive weight loss.

Larra

Crazeru
on 2/10/15 4:48 am

There was very little pain with my PS with Dr Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico.  Dr S uses twilight sedation and epidural.  We have a group here on OH - click on Dr Sauceda in my siggy line or go to:  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Dr_Sauceda_Patients/discussion/ 

Dr S will be in Tyler, Texas for consults on June 26th & 27th.  You can also take pics front, side, back, side and send to [email protected] and he'll get back to you with a quote.  I think there are 3 ladies in Monterrey now.

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda