Why not just Atkins?

Valerie G.
on 1/26/15 9:17 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

I stayed on the Atkins induction program for two months (yes, you read that right) and NO, absolutely NO results.  Studies are showing now that YES, the whole low fat craze was a mistake and YES, the general public should eat a higher protein diet with fewer grains and processed carbs then the food pyramid recommends. 

The main difference is that the DS and RNY both adjust the way the body metabolizes food as well as giving us satiety much faster.  This is the key to losing weight long-term.  The RNY gives that metabolic boost for a couple of years (which is why many regain a few years later) while the DS is long-lasting.

The LapBand and Sleeve offer just the satiety factor, and you're right, they could probably do Atkins and stick to that plan and succeed, but they would be miserable, grumpy and hungry.  The band and sleeve aleviate that sensation to make them successful.

Obesity is not one-size-fits-all, and neither is wls, so it's important to understand the difference between the different procedures so you know exactly how and why you will be successful.

Keep learning.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Irishnurse
on 1/26/15 10:58 pm, edited 1/26/15 11:05 pm
DS on 04/17/13

Willpower. Carb addict. Emotional eater. Diabetes. Hypothyroidism. We have all lost and gained by dieting. There are many reasons why it did not work and they are different for everyone. Most of us here needed help because of any number those reasons or more. If it were easy to behave and diet (medical, emotional reasons aside) everyone would be skinny. The DS was the tool I needed to give me the willpower to NOT eat carbs or else I **** my brains out and fart myself to death. It helped me learn to eat better. It took my diabetes away. It increased my metabolism by changing the way I eat. I could go on and on. By all means if a person does not have any of the emotional, addiction, or medical problems associated with obesity then go with just dieting. . If you are here on this website and  you have to even consider WLS then you have a problem that dieting cannot fix. So why not use the wonderful tool of WLS and be happy? I wish you luck. 

P.S. None of us here really want to have our bodies rearranged or cut on. If the choice to diet worked over the choice of WLS for those here, naturally that would be the choice made. WLS is desperate choice for people in serious need who have tried everything and failed. 

SW-340, CW-164, GW-150, 14 pounds to go...

PeteA
on 1/27/15 2:46 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

Like every other diet and many of the other posts I had good success with Atkins and a stricter hi protein diet I was on out of the Cleveland Clinic but once off the diet I gained it all back and more.

I'm not quite sure what the explanation is but the sleeve along with the switch changed some of those cravings that always led to my regain I had in the past. Yes, I eat high protein / low carb but I also don't beat myself up when I don't meet those goals. A little ice cream, a few chips, it is easier for me to stop now.

I think the continued malabsorption is the key to maintenance but at almost 2 years out I can see  that if I still wanted to eat like I ate pre-op I could beat the DS and gain weight.

I guess the key for me is that Atkins is a diet and what I am doing now is just how I live.

I'm not sure that helps  - just my view.

Pete

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

Brandy G.
on 2/1/15 6:11 am
DS on 08/20/14

Great CBC article:  Obesity research confirms long-term weight loss almost impossible.   “Most scientists know that we can’t eat ourselves thin, that the lost weight will ultimately bounce back. …  We are very efficient biological machines. We evolved not to lose weight. We evolved to keep on as much weight as we possibly can.” 

The article says for the normal metabolized person, the odds of long term success are low.  But some studies say that for the morbidly obese, the odds of you losing weight via dieting & exercise and keeping it off for 10 years is zero.  ZERO.   Statistical noise if it really ever happens at all.  Your body wants to be fat and will find a way to make that happen. 

I can't believe that losing large amounts of weight is good for you.  Gaining it back can't be good for you either.  I *know* it's bad for a person's emotional health.   I was not the type to succeed at diets at all, so I can't really say for myself, but I can only imagine how much extra self hate I would pack on when the scale went high again. 

Vitamins and blood work are not grievous burdens by themselves, and when compared to the stress of carrying 100 extra pounds they are nothing.  You are the captain of your ship and for the most part it will be 100% your decision if you are opening yourself up for malnutrition or not. 

I, like most bariatric patients, only regret I didn't do this years ago.

Good luck!

August 2014 - DS @ Mexicali Bariatric Center / Ungson.
It took me one and a half years to lose 165 pounds.
Weight: High=314, Goal=155, Current=131