Hypophosphatemia -low phosphorous

sunshine1968
on 1/9/15 6:40 am

I am dealing with a major drop in phosphorus and am wondering how to correct the issue. Has anyone experienced this and if so how did you treat it? Trying to collect as much info as possible as my phosphorous is dipping to risky levels and I'm concerned. Please advise if you are able. Thank you! 

hollykim
on 1/9/15 9:28 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On January 9, 2015 at 2:40 PM Pacific Time, sunshine1968 wrote:

I am dealing with a major drop in phosphorus and am wondering how to correct the issue. Has anyone experienced this and if so how did you treat it? Trying to collect as much info as possible as my phosphorous is dipping to risky levels and I'm concerned. Please advise if you are able. Thank you! 

in researching this,I noticed that antacids can cause a drop. Do you take anything for reflux?

sunshine1968
on 1/10/15 1:32 am

Hi Hollykim,

I do not take any antacids but thank you for the info. Just trying to figure out what to do and how this occurred because apparently this is not a common deficiency with the DS. I had an iron infusion called injectafer a month ago and I believe it is the culprit of the sudden drop but not positive.  I am taking any and all suggestions as I'm working to figure this all out. 

Huneypie
on 1/9/15 6:11 pm - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12

How are your protein levels?  Wikipedia says:

"The main food sources for phosphorus are foods containing protein, although proteins do not contain phosphorus. For example, milk, meat, and soya typically also have phosphorus. As a rule, if one holds a meal plan providing sufficient amount of protein and calcium then the amount of phosphorus is also likely sufficient."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phosphorus

You can view the Top 10 Foods Highest in Phosphorus here:

http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/high-phosphorus-f oods.php

I hope you can this back on track quickly.

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

sunshine1968
on 1/10/15 1:40 am

Hi Hunnypie

Total protein is 6.4 (5.8-7.8);  albumin 3.4 (3.5-4.8); pre-albumin 22.4 (18-45)

Huneypie
on 1/13/15 1:46 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12

Hi Sunshine, how are your urea and phosphate levels?  Albumin can be low due to kidney issues, although I'm suspecting in your instance it's worth upping the protein a bit.

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

sunshine1968
on 1/13/15 2:52 am

My phosphorus levels were very low post iron infusion a month ago. I'm now using phosphorous sups to get the numbers back up. Not sure on urea. What test would urea fall under?

Huneypie
on 1/14/15 3:06 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12

On my labs urea is under the section entitled Renal/Liver/Bone/Urea.  It's quite a basic test, so I'm sure they'd run it if you've had vitamin A, etc run.

I  my DS  

Huneypie
on 1/14/15 3:09 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12

BTW I'd talk this one over with your doc.  In the UK it's pretty usual to see your surgeon of PCP at least to discuss labs and what you can do to improve them.  If you do discuss this with a doc, please post your findings.

I  my DS