Looking for advice for my brother-cross post

dot-tales
on 1/8/15 2:24 am

Hi Gang,

I had the DS back in 2007 with Dr Peters. It resolved all my many medical issues including diabetes.  My husband had the VSG at the Cleveland Clinic in 2013 and his is doing great. His medical issues have resolved as well. He did not have diabetes. 

I have a brother who is overweight with Type II diabetes. He is having difficulty with sugar control. Years ago he asked my advice on wls as his doc was recommending lap band. I said I was very happy with the DS but if it wasn't right for him then maybe he should consider VSG or RNY. He is now at the point where he is seriously considering wls. But there were some changes in his health since our initial conversations. He had two polyps that turned out to be cancerous. A very small section of the bowel removed, no chemo, no radiation and has had clean scopes since.

With this health development I think his best option is VSG. Looking for feedback from the forums.

Thanks for reading.

Dot

Brandy G.
on 1/8/15 10:46 am
DS on 08/20/14

Assuming he has recovered from his colon surgery, I would respectfully disagree.  IMHO, he should get the surgery that matches his body and personality.  Does he want a conservative start?  Is he good at being on a diet and willing to live on restricted calories for life?  Then a VSG is wonderful and may be all he ever needs.  If his body is a super absorber or if he isn't a super star on diet compliance, then a DS.   Either one is better than doing nothing and personally, I wouldn't let my brother get a band (complications) or RNY (Nsaids). 

..brandy 

August 2014 - DS @ Mexicali Bariatric Center / Ungson.
It took me one and a half years to lose 165 pounds.
Weight: High=314, Goal=155, Current=131

dot-tales
on 1/9/15 11:34 am

Brandy,

Thanks for your opinion, this is what I am looking for. He definitely doesn't want the band and I don't think the RNY is a good option.

Dot

PattyL
on 1/8/15 11:34 am

The VSG has no chance of fixing his diabetes where the DS probably will.  If I was diabetic the DS is the only surgery I would consider.  Why would he want any WLS that would leave him diabetic when there is a better option?

dot-tales
on 1/9/15 11:40 am

Patty,

When I review the VSG board, there are several there that say their diabetes has been resolved or their medication reduction. I agree with the DS as you know I have had it myself however his finances are a little more constrained than mine and a heavy vitamin and blood testing is mandatory and I'm not sure if he would be as successful long term with the DS.

Dot

Beverly N.
on 1/8/15 1:27 pm - Aurora, IL

I actually had colon cancer.  It was found, very early, in fact, when I was having pre-tests done prior to having RNY.  So I got lucky two ways - the cancer was caught early - small portion of bowel removed, no chemo, no radiation, just like your bro - and got smart and opted for DS instead of RNY a year later.  So, I would not let the cancer determine the kind of WLS to have.  Your bro should base that decision on the merits of the surgery and the surgery type that fits him best.  Remember, the DS (or RNY for that matter) affect the small bowel, whereas it is the large bowel (colon) affected by the cancer.  One will not affect the other, and should not be a determining factor in WLS choice.

Beverly
dot-tales
on 1/9/15 11:41 am

Bev,

Thanks for sharing. I really appreciate it.

Dot

PeteA
on 1/8/15 10:43 pm - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

I don't think the polyps really make a difference on which WLS surgery he chooses.
I do think if putting the diabetes into remission is a goal then he is looking at RnY
or DS. The VSG and accompanying weight loss will give him greater control over his
blood sugar but won't provide the kind of "fix" that the others would.

As a DS patient yourself you are probably in a better position to tell if he is suited 
for the DS (vitamins, diet, etc). The numbers are better for the DS regarding diabetes
remission but they aren't a 100% for either the RnY or the DS. I think the DS is the
better option but people can succeed with both. 

I think the DS is his best bet but in my mind a lot depends on the personality and
motivations of the person involved.

dot-tales
on 1/9/15 11:43 am

Pete,

Thanks for your reply, I am trying to steer my brother the right way. I of course thing the DS is best while recognizing that different people need different options.

Dot

larra
on 1/16/15 3:25 am - bay area, CA

I don't think anyone could possible say it better than Bev did. I'll just add that you know your brother better than we do. From a purely medical point of view, the DS is the best choice because it is almost sure to resolve his type 2 diabetes. There is a chance the VSG would do this, but it's a small chance. However, your brother also has to be willing and able to comply with the vitamin and protein requirements of the DS, both from a willingness aspect and from the financial aspect. If he can and will do this, great. If not, another operation would be better - but not lap band!

Larra