A letter can change everything!

hedgie
on 1/6/15 11:11 am - Orlando, FL

So I get a letter in the mail form my insurance company (United) which was completely unexpected. I'm either getting annual renewal forms or a statement of benefits for my new CPAP machine.

I open the letter and tentatively read ... it's a copy of a letter sent to my surgeon's office. "We have received your request for pre-surgical authorization and based on the information submitted and the patient's health plan, we have determined that Your Patient qualifies for benefits for 43845 GASTRIC RSTCV W/PRTL GASTRECTOMY."

Wait - I'm approved? Is that what this is saying? Already? The letter is dated 12/26. I just completed my 6 month diet appointment on 12/23 and when I talked to the surgeon's office on 12/29 and they said they were going to submit my paperwork after the first of the year even without my PCP's Second Medical Recommendation letter. How can I already be approved? I need to confirm this.

I called my Bariatric RN and left a message. I called the pre-op coordinator at my surgeon's office and left a message. Why is no one available when I'm dying to speak with someone! I call the insurance company and the kind lady confirms that it shows my surgery has been approved. I do the "Angel's sing" with the insurance lady on the phone and she starts laughing and says "Congratulations, I'm excited for you, and good luck!"

The insurance coordinator calls me back and he confirms I'm approved. My RN calls me back. She too confirms I'm approved. Not only that but my employer will give me $1000 after my insurance-appointment RN speaks with me post-surgery. How did this happen so fast? I'm beside myself. So I figured I'd share my excitement with a bunch of folks who know exactly what I'm feeling right now.

All I can say is ... try to get your bariatric office to submit your forms around Christmas when even the insurance company is feeling charitable. Either that or they really just wanted to start their Christmas vacation. Now I just have to wait until the scheduler calls me to schedule the surgery. Tick ... tock!

Star0210
on 1/6/15 11:44 am
DS on 11/28/14

Congratulations! 

Shawnern
on 1/7/15 12:06 am - Rochester, MN

Congratulations on your approval letter. Wow your employer gives you $1000 for having surgery, that's fantastic! 

TakeII
on 1/7/15 12:48 am, edited 1/7/15 12:48 am - Aurora, CO
DS on 10/29/14

I had the exact same experience with United.  My paperwork was submitted on Oct 2, I had an approval letter dated Oct. 3rd.  I had my surgery on October 29th.  I was shocked because several surgeons told me there would be no way they could get me approved for a revision.......they didn't even try.  I'm glad I didn't give up until I found the right doctor.

Congratulations!!!

Kdiva
on 1/7/15 5:54 am - Margate, FL

Congratulations on your approval!  Hopefully you get scheduled for surgery soon. I'm curious though.......are you having the DS? If yes I see you're in Orlando who is your surgeon? 

DS: 5/28/14

HW: 310

SW: 302

CW: 160 ( 1 year post-op) 160 lbs gone

hedgie
on 1/7/15 6:44 am - Orlando, FL

I am having the DS, with Dr. Jawad at ORMC. Where did you have yours, and were there any issues with your surgeon? Thanks!

Kdiva
on 1/7/15 8:57 am - Margate, FL

My surgeon was Dr Hoddinott in Ocala.  Everything went well no issues. 

DS: 5/28/14

HW: 310

SW: 302

CW: 160 ( 1 year post-op) 160 lbs gone

Abby M.
on 1/7/15 9:04 am
RNY on 12/08/14

How awesome!! Congrats!

robs477
on 1/7/15 10:00 am, edited 1/7/15 10:01 am

Wow, that’s awesome! Congratulations! Mine was submitted on 12/18, nothing back yet! Wish they’d pass the bottle and spread some of that “Xmas cheer” over to Cigna..lol