What to expect after DS surgery in regards to bowel movements?

Tati11236
on 1/6/15 5:54 am

Thank you all for responding.   I appreciate it. Your responses have defintiely reduced my worries of this issue. I'm glad I have found this forum!

JazzyOne9254
on 1/9/15 8:00 pm, edited 1/9/15 8:10 pm

You may have increased BM's at first, as your body adjusts to your new re-routing.  Simple Carbs and Simple sugars make it worse, and in your first year, can be unpredictiable, but 15 a day is a bit extreme.  I think she was trying to scare you, and get you to switch to a RNY gastric bypass.

Your body will regulate into a pattern.  At almost 6 years out, I have three in the morning - one solid, one semi-solid and one liquid, and I'm done for the day, unless I eat something that doesn't agree with me, and at this stage of the game, I pretty much know what those foods are.

However, once in a while one of those ingredients is hidden in a food I consume (usually restaurant food), and my pattern is upset, but only for as long as it takes to get that stuff out of my system.

Once it's all cleared, back to the normal routine.

I used to keep an "emergency kit" in my car, with a change of pants, a Depends, and "clean up" products (washcloth, personal butt wipes, a plastic garbage bag for the soiled clothing)  I'd find a gas station with a bathroom, preferably outside the station,  and take care of it there.

You also want to keep a purse size can of Ozium in your purse, for those times you need to use a public restroom.  You can find them at any auto supply store or automotive section of most discount stores (Walmart, Kmart, Target, etc)  Tip:  Rinse the waste off the pants and underwear  as soon as possible; the acidic content of the BM may eat holes in them!

That said, not all DSers have this issue.  I think a lot depends on whether you have a common channel on the short side for normal, or a longer one.  Mihe is 75cm, the shortest of normal.

Positive vibes to you as you embark upon the most amazing journey of your life!

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

Valerie G.
on 1/9/15 10:32 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

I have one per day as a rule, first thing in the morning....and it's huge.

If I ever go more than that, it's a result of something I ate.  I'm far enough out now that I have figured out many triggers and as long as I avoid them and get the calcium I need, the bowel movement thing is just no big deal.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

elaynemu
on 1/20/15 9:05 pm

I worried about the same thing and some of the Vets here told me that though the stools were looser than before, they usually only went once a day unless they ate something that didn't agree. I am 1 month post op but I am a little behind the curve because I had complications but I have only gone once a day since I got out of the hospital. This might be TMI but be warned,they are very stinky!