What to expect after DS surgery in regards to bowel movements?

Tati11236
on 1/5/15 10:00 am

Hello. I am scheduled to have DS surgery on Feb. 1, 2015. I'm very excited but a little worried about the amount of bowel movements I was told by my nutritionist that I might have in one day (She said as many as 15 bowel movements a day). I understand that I will have to deal with increased bowel movements I'm just not sure 15 a day is the norm for most who have had DS surgery.  Is it? As he later disclosed she has only worked with two other DS patients. I'm not sure she has enough knowledge on post-op DS recovery patients. I'm not sure if she was trying to scare me as she questioned why I chose the DS surgery on multiple occasions.  I have PCOS, diabetes, high cholesterol, and hypertension. After all of my research I decided that the DS would be the best surgery for me considering my medical issues and that weight regain was the lowest over the longer term as compared to other bariatric surgeries. The nutritionist also stated that the bowel movements might decrease over time. I would appreciate any information on this topic from anyone who has had the DS surgery recently or in the past. Thanks.

Shawnern
on 1/5/15 10:53 am - Rochester, MN

What a nut job she is! As a RN I can't stand when someone who is supposed to help folks lie because they don't know the real answer. I just had surgery 6 weeks ago and I have less BMs than I did before surgery. 1-2 at the most. Ive never heard of anyone having 15 BMs in a day that wasn't sick.

(deactivated member)
on 1/5/15 10:57 am

Same for me - generally 1 to 2 a day. Sometimes more but sometimes none.

airbender
on 1/5/15 11:03 am

I think the bowel issue is a pre-opers concern due mostly to bad information out there.  15? in a day? I am not sure where this # comes from but that is quite excessive. that would be a terrible quality of life, that is not typical.   People are so different but that is poor information your nut is giving out.  Actually some people have less bowel movements after DS and have to deal with constipation.  I would say after the first few months, the average DS goes 2xs a day (with typical cluster in the am).  I usually go once or twice, rare to go more for me. 

Star0210
on 1/5/15 12:44 pm
DS on 11/28/14

She's a nut nut alright. I just had revision from VSG to DS almost 6 weeks ago and I'm battling constipation every day. Sometimes I don't go for several days. 

so far there are no foods that have disagreed with me and I've had a pretty good variety of different things. 

There are those who have issues with diarrhea post op...and there's usually a specific reason and once they figure it out it goes away. 

But I've probably read more posts of people dealing with constipation than diarrhea or very frequent loose stools.

the normal for those farther out seems to be 2x a day. 

larra
on 1/5/15 2:06 pm - bay area, CA

Total BS. I don't know if it's ignorance or scare tactics, but she's just plain wrong.

You have very good reasons for your decision to have the DS. Don't let someone who knows less than you do talk you out of it. I'm almost 9 years post-op and have never had 15 bm's in one day in my life.

Larra

AngelnChains
on 1/5/15 9:25 pm
DS on 11/17/14

Im 6 weeks out and depending on what I eat 1 or 2 is the norm. Also my doctor was very specific that if I started having 4 or 5 a day or more to get back in stat. Ive honestly never heard 15 mentioned.... just saying. Good Luck with your new journey :)

Lyss Remaly
on 1/6/15 12:47 am - Wheeling, IL

For a long time I was going 5-6 times a day and that was a good day.  I already have an overactive bowel to begin with so this didn't help.  I do believe that this was also a contributing factor to the chronic fissures I suffered for two years that required 6 very painful surgeries.  Not only that but it was SO embarrassing at work because mine were so smelly and no amount of poo pourri or ozium would mask the terror I dropped.  I have taken to intermittent fasting and it has changed my life! I go twice a day and I'm still getting in all of my calories! 

Huneypie
on 1/6/15 2:12 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12

Hmm... to go 15 times a day those DSers must be taking no calcium or iron and consuming every food that causes them irritation - eg nasty sweeteners that end in -itol.  Most of us do fine with stevia and sucralose (AKA Splenda).

In the first few weeks you may go several times in the morning however I never reached double digits and I, as most are, was OK by the afternoon.

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

jason1978
on 1/6/15 4:52 am
DS on 06/24/13

I'm usually once a day. If I eat like crap it's more often.

DS on 6/24/13

SW 351

GW 190

CW 171