Want revision from VSG to DS... need some questions answered

(deactivated member)
on 1/2/15 11:34 am

The hospitals in Europe and many in the US are no longer performing lap band surgeries. It's an inferior procedure and has the lowest success rate with many issues. My doctor only performs the DS and the Sleeve. The RNY and Lap band are no longer offered at Lennox Hill in NY.

Also, Insurance companies don't have the final say in approving your DS procedure. They may deny initially but you and your doctor should challenge them. They will eventually cave as they don't want the liability of denying a necessary procedure.

Jenniflower75
on 1/2/15 11:41 am

That is excellent to know.. it is definitely a necessary procedure!!! husband seems set on lap band... told him he is better off not doing anything at all. I dont want him getting something wasting his time and pain on a surgery that isn't going to work.

larra
on 1/2/15 11:59 am - bay area, CA

Dr. Bonnani has an excellent reputation.

I hope your husband will reconsider. Yes, surgery is scary, but the lap band has not only the worst success record, it also has the highest rate or reoperation of any bariatric surgery. It's partly due to complications, and a lot due to just not working and/or not being tolerated by the patient. There are so many people who get lap band because they are afraid of other operations, or they don't want their intestines "rearranged", or they want to avoid a night or two in the hospital, or they want to get it done Friday and be back at work Monday, or other reasons that have nothing to do with why we have bariatric surgery. We do this to lose weight and resolve (or an least improve) comorbidities LONGTERM, and lap band has the worst record for both longterm weight loss and for resolution of comorbidities.

Your husband should be asking himself not just what operation he wants, but how many operations he wants and what results he wants. He should know that, as one wise person on this website once put it, every lap band forum eventually turns into a failed lap band forum.

Larra

Gibbsthunder
on 1/3/15 7:54 am - PA

He did my surgery two years ago he's a rock star he told me prior to my surgery that he really doesn't like doing the lap band

Lizafig
on 1/25/15 4:48 pm - Salinas, CA

Hi there! 

Please please! Talk ur hubby out of having the  lap band!! Worse thing I ever did to my body! Nothing good. Minimal weight loss and hernias! Erosion is sooo common. God help you both if he goes for it. What a nightmare. My surgeon recommended another wls but I was so adamant about doing something too permanent. I should've listened. 

PSwoman13
on 1/10/15 11:17 pm

Here is the line that got me; "oh and I DO still have my restriction". I am in kind of the same boat as you VSG Sept 2012 and I too have gained weight because of my poor food choices. I also have good restriction when I am eating what I am supposed to be. Your post has validated what I have been thinking. Both of us have to use the tool that we currently have to lose the weight. Having more surgery is not the answer and we shouldn't be thinking of it as a quick fix. It will be just as hard following the DS diet as it will be to get back on track with the VSG that we currently have. reading posts of those DS in maintenance it will always be a challenge to stay the course. Let's give this one more try; I know we can do it!!

Please give this some thought as another surgery is risky and why go through it if you don't need too.

Best wishes either way.

Jenniflower75
on 1/11/15 2:58 am

Thanks PSwoman, Do you have a game plan? I'm game if you are. I don't even know where to begin to get back on track. I'm at a total loss here.

caligina
on 1/11/15 3:11 am

Boy does thi**** home for me. I had the lapband in 2005...FAILED....VSG in 2011 and only lost 45 lbs. gained it all back and then some. I don't know if the original doctor I had a Kaiser did it correctly because I really never had that much restriction. Now I do not have restriction and I am the heaviest I have been in my life. 4 pounds heavier then when I had the surgery(#2) Looking at going to another doctor here to see what my options are. I live about 30 minutes from Dr. K and I have heard wonderful things with him so I may see if I can get a consultation.

Do you know what insurance he takes?

Thanks

Gina