My MD says I'm losing too much weight too fast

Shawnern
on 12/29/14 3:48 am - Rochester, MN

I just  got back from my 5 week check up with my Endocrinologist and he is very concerned about my 67 pound weightloss. He said that is too much and wants to talk with the surgeon about slowing it down. What do y'all think? I feel great, I get my fluids in and I get atleast 80 grams of protein each day.

jason1978
on 12/29/14 3:59 am
DS on 06/24/13

What's your surgeon have to say? I started at 350 and by 5 months I was at 239. What is your age and starting weight?

i was struggling to hit 80 grams of protein a day at 5 weeks.

let your body and blood work do the talking!

DS on 6/24/13

SW 351

GW 190

CW 171

PattyL
on 12/29/14 4:05 am

What's your BMI and how are you doing?  Unless you are sickly and your BMI is too low...lose every pound you can!

Shawnern
on 12/29/14 5:11 am - Rochester, MN

I have an infection in 2 of my ports that put me in the hospital over the weekend. Otherwise I feel great! My BMI was 51 and I'm 46. This was the first time I met this clown and I will have to find a new one. Getting 80 grams of protein Is not hard for me. I have 2 premiere shakes a day which are 30 grams a piece but have recently dropped to one a day unless I feel bad.The rest is in food. Shrimp, crab, fish and smoked oysters.

airbender
on 12/29/14 5:13 am

absolutely NOT, the only reason I would go on Creon is if I was below my BMI of 18 AND I had malnutrition.  You are so early out, you need to optimize every single pound you can at 18 months out after that here comes intestinal adaptation then regain a few lbs.   you actually want to get a little below weight and for men that is relatively easier than women.  so NO.  keep losing all your weight

Shawnern
on 12/29/14 6:41 am - Rochester, MN

Talked to my surgeon, just shy of calling him a quack, he said I was fine and will set me up with a different endocrinologist! Thanks y'all 

Shawn

airbender
on 12/29/14 10:35 am

I like your surgeon already

larra
on 12/29/14 1:28 pm - bay area, CA

The doctor who said this has probably never taken care of anyone with the DS had doesn't understand that rapid weight loss like yours is expected at this point, not abnormal and not alarming at all. In fact, if you weren't losing weight rapidly so early out, I would be concerned about it.

Keep on doing what you're doing. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to lose a whole lot of weight fast, probably after years of struggle and frustration. Go for it!

Larra

Valerie G.
on 12/30/14 12:38 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

It will slow on its own as you get closer to your normal weight range.  He's obviously not had any wls patients in the rapid loss phase.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Shawnern
on 12/30/14 1:53 am, edited 12/30/14 2:47 am - Rochester, MN

Trust me, I'm in no hurry for it to slow down! I'm going to ride the weightloss wave as long as I can. I'm glad I won't see him again and Im glad I have this awesome group of people to ask questions