Approaching 4-Weeks Post-Op... my experiences so far

bitDaddy
on 12/12/14 12:24 am
DS on 11/18/14

So in just a few days, I'll be at 4-weeks post op and thought I'd relay my experiences thus far. One thing I can say off the top is that despite copious amounts of research in the previous year, the problems I expected never manifested and the ones I've had and continue to have were a complete surprise to me. 

My surgery and hospital stay were uneventful. I only had one time when I was vomiting (dry heaving is more accurate) which happened after a walk on the day after my surgery. The nurse said it was common as because walking moves all the gasses around. Oddly enough, it gave me a sore throat which was the most pain that I had in the hospital. One warning I'll give is that the day after I got home, I had the worst diarrhea I've ever had in my life. I came close to going back to the hospital, but it passed after a few hours. I mentioned this to my doctor on my 1 week follow-up and he said that it was due to the contrast fluid I drank... Could have used a bit of warning on that one, doc! Anyway, I felt comfortable enough to return to week about 2 1/2 weeks after my surgery (I have a desk job.)

Unlike most doctors I went home with a 4-week liquids only diet. This proved to be my biggest hurdle. After a few days of nothing but sweet food (protein shakes, pudding, jell-o, etc.) I became completely adverse to eating and for a few weeks I was eating almost nothing - maybe 50 calories a day. Likewise, I had a huge problem with getting in my liquids and I've been generally dehydrated since leaving the hospital. Both of those combined have made me quite weak and easily fatigued. About 3 or 4 days ago I started getting very nauseated, which was a complete surprise to me because I hadn't had any problems up until that point.

Yesterday, though, I put 2+2 together and realized that the nausea was probably being caused by low blood sugar . So, I ate a scrambled egg and boom, the nausea went away. So I think that as I am able to add more foods into my diet, I'll have less of a problem with that.

As for the liquids - I'm getting better each day, though still not anywhere near where I need to be. I always have water or something to drink with me, but, like eating, I just don't feel any real desire to drink it. Yesterday, it took me about 6 hours to finish a .5 liter bottle of water. I did manage to finish a 2nd one before going to bed that evening, but that's still only about 1/2 of where I'm told I need to be.

Lastly, my hand slipped while I was using it to support myself while getting up on Saturday and I had a very severe and immediate pain in my abdomen, several inches below my right incision. I'm not sure if I pulled a muscle or what, but whenever I do anything which uses the muscles in my right abdomen, I get quite a bit of pain/burning sensation across the right side of my abdomen. It isn't so bad if I am wearing pants with a belt across that area or of I support it with my hand, though.

So, the $64-million question, do I regret the surgery. I wouldn't be honest if I didn't say that I've had fleeting moments of regret, but I am completely satisfied with my choice - I know that these little kinks will pass and in the long run I'll be better off through all of it. My weight when I went for my first consultation was 396 and it was 382 on the day of my surgery. This morning I weighed 342. 4x shirts are now starting to get a bit too baggy and 3x shirts which used to have to do quite a bit of stretching now fit with relative ease.

PeteA
on 12/12/14 2:54 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

Be careful with the liquids. Dehydration can also cause nausea. You might try drinking hot liquids like Beef
and chicken broth along with tea and coffee to see if those go down a little easier for you. They did for me
early post-op.

You might also get and unflavored protein powder that you can add to things like coffee and yogurt so you 
aren't always getting the sweet taste. Many people like the Unjury unflavored.
I like Optimum Nutrition 100% whey because when I mix it with 
water it isn't sweet like the Syntrax Nectars. I use those once in a while when I have a taste for sweets.

You might want to give your surgeon a call about that "pulled muscle" just in case it is something else
although I think if it was something like a hernia your pain would be more constant and you might feel
a lump.

I'm glad you are satisfied so fat - you have a great attitude. I had some second thoughts my first month
or so but mostly that was fear of trying to figure out the best way to go forward (Vits, eating, etc). At 20
months and now healthy from even all the issues that weren't directly weight related I am having a great
holiday season.

Pete

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

bitDaddy
on 12/12/14 4:04 am
DS on 11/18/14

Thanks. After the post I thought that I really should call my surgeon and was given some good news and some bad news. The good news is that the pain I am having is likely due to stitching that is irritating a nerve. She said it was quite common and that, while I should be gentle with it, there's nothing damaged and nothing to worry about unless I start having other symptoms. The bad news part of it, though was that the stitching can take 3 to 4 months to fully dissolve.

Agree on the liquids. I've really put a focus on that these last few days. I am hoping that by the end of the weekend I'll be up to at least 48 ounces per day if not 64.

Star0210
on 12/12/14 4:15 am
DS on 11/28/14

Oy...you really need to up that fluid amount.

I'm only two weeks out from my revision surgery and I'm getting around 80oz/day in liquids.

You don't want to get dehydrated...that's bad bad juju. 

Keep a water bottle with you at all times and just keep sipping. You can get more in....try different things. I can't drink plain water...so it's crystal light for me. It's 2pm here and I'm on my 3rd bottle of the day plus I had 11oz protein drink earlier. 

Best of luck to you...sounds like you're right on par.

Shawnern
on 12/12/14 4:03 am - Rochester, MN

That sounds like a pretty good post op so far except for your slip. I Agree with Pete, you should mention it to your Docs just to be on the safe side. I can't believe you're already back to work. I'm about a week behind you and I don't see that in the near future for me. Maybe I need to suck it up a little bit.keep up the good work

Shawn

bitDaddy
on 12/12/14 4:10 am
DS on 11/18/14

Well, I think it is easier for me than most people. 1) I'm a Sr. Manager, managing programs in multiple global sites, but my direct reports do most of the work. I mostly just attend calls, make sure everything is running the way I want and bark to get people into action when I need to. and 2) I work from home, so I knew that if I had a problem, it was just a matter of walking away from my desk and going to the lazy boy or bed or whatever.