looking for recommendation of a DS surgeon in the midwest region

chienpoo1
on 12/10/14 11:58 am

Hello guys .. i am looking  a DS surgeon within the Midwest region.  i am specifically seeking a surgeon who is experienced with revision from lap band  to DS. any recommendation?

thunderkitty
on 12/10/14 3:04 pm - Bismarck, ND

Hi Chienpoo,

I don't have any personal experience, but I live in ND as well and I am finding it difficult to locate anyone nearby that is qualified to do DS that has any significant information online verifying that they are any good/their level experience. I have a few names I've come up with like: Schlosser (who had a heart attack and I believe is no longer practicing? Maybe someone else can confirm this?), Buchwald (who I have read no longer does DS?), Ikramuddin (who I haven't heard a lot about), Kellogg (very little info about him or the application process on the Mayo site), Rupp and Kelly (also not a ton of info about them online that I could find.) This is just my personal research so far so if I'm wrong about a few things I'm sorry. I have looked into surgeons elsewhere, (California, NJ, Chicago, etc.) but I don't think I will be able to afford to commute further than Minneapolis if I have to travel back and forth more than once. It seems like I keep hearing about people flying to well known surgeons on the East and West coasts and so I'm really uncertain about the level of experience of the MN surgeons... especially after looking on other sites that list suggested surgeons, none of the MN docs made the lists I found other than Schlosser, but he didn't do laparoscopic. Hopefully someone will chime in who is familiar with at least a few of the ones near us.Meanwhile my search continues!

Kara

chienpoo1
on 12/11/14 4:43 am

This is  such a huge fustration. I am finding that surgeons in our region all want to push bypass and sleeve as the option for us.  I believe if i am going to be on alifetime of vitamins, i should  be able to be on it without the constant fear of weight gain as with bypass. I tried  Dr. Ikramuddin, and i got a slap in my face telling me that  since i am seeking revision, i should  get initial surgery to remove the  band , wait six months and than  get a sleeve. How is that helpful??? Anyway i call the  Minneapolis Bariatric surgeons to seek out Dr. Schlosse for this revision, but as you stated she is  no longer working and has be out for about 7 years. I looked on their site and i am not sure  they have a surgeaon that  does DS. keeping my fingers crossed.

thunderkitty
on 12/15/14 12:28 am - Bismarck, ND

Very best of luck, keep me posted on your search!

larra
on 12/11/14 12:37 am - bay area, CA

Dr. Anthone in Omaha has been doing the DS for many years and has an excellent reputation. Given how many people have lap bands remove (because they are crap) I'm sure he has done this type of revision, but of course you could always ask him as to his experience with this specific revision.

Larra

Shawnern
on 12/11/14 4:53 am - Rochester, MN

I just had mine done by Dr. Kendrick's at Mayo clinic here in Rochester Mn. Mine. Was not a revision but I know first hand that he and Dr. Kellogg both do revisions because I work there. Any questions let me know.

Shawn

Lyss Remaly
on 12/11/14 5:48 am - Wheeling, IL

Dr. Prachand at U of C was my doctor.  I was a crapband-DS revision.  He is the most INCREDIBLE doctor.  He is calm, patient, understanding and never once did I feel judged or like a number.  Even to this day (almost 5 years later) HE personally checks in with me to make sure I am doing well. 

His partner Dr. Alverdy in the same clinic is also a wonderful man but he wasn't my doctor.  

If you would like any additional information about him PLEASE do not hesitate to message me. 

NateH
on 12/14/14 8:26 am
VSG on 09/26/14

Same! I wouldn't go to ANY other doctor. Dr. Prachand is the best physician I've ever met or spoken with. HIGHLY recommend. 

HW: 450
SW: 428 9/26/14
Reached 'normal' BMI (24.9) with a weight of 199.9: 2/5/2016

TheMaskedMarauder
on 12/14/14 7:23 am, edited 12/14/14 7:23 am

Margaret Inman @ St Vincent Bariatric Center Of Excellence, Carmel IN.  Indianapolis area.

She does DS and has done so for many years.

neamom
on 1/1/15 10:09 am

I have really researched and went with Dr. Paul  Kemmeter in Grand Rapids Michigan his practice is Grand Health Partners he is excellent