Diabetes after ds surgery

Susan S.
on 12/8/14 5:15 am - White Salmon, WA

10 yrs after my DS surgery, I was informed last week that I have pre-diabetes. I'm a bit freaked out, & thought that with a weight of 130lbs, that this would be almost impossible.....

Has anyone else experienced this? Thanks!

airbender
on 12/8/14 5:22 am

Susan,

sorry about the news you recieved, but there are people that do get diabetes at 130 lbs.  DS is the best surery for diabetes cure and in Europe the perform the intestinal bypass only for the diabetic patients.  Did you develop type 1 or type 2?  As you know Type 1 can happen to anyone at anytime, and is beleived to be due to post viral infection.  Know that you did the best you could for your body, you got the best surgery to protect your from T2DM, but there are no absolutes in medcine.  Hopefully with some minor modifications you can manage your pre diabetic state.  Be well

Susan S.
on 12/8/14 5:36 am - White Salmon, WA

Thanks for the reply! The pre-diabetes would be type 2. One thing I wonder about, is that for years I drank way too much diet coke every day, & was told after my diagnosis, that DC can spike one's blood sugar. Has anyone else heard this? Needless to say, I haven't had a sip since....

Elaine C.
on 1/3/16 12:38 pm - Canada
VSG on 03/17/15
On December 8, 2014 at 1:36 PM Pacific Time, Susan S. wrote:

Thanks for the reply! The pre-diabetes would be type 2. One thing I wonder about, is that for years I drank way too much diet coke every day, & was told after my diagnosis, that DC can spike one's blood sugar. Has anyone else heard this? Needless to say, I haven't had a sip since....

I realize this is an old thread but figured I'd throw in my 2 cents to the conversation...

I used to have diabetes and after a sufficient amount of weight loss from a VSG, I am no longer diabetic.  Someone in a previous comment said their endocrinologist told them it was in remission.  It really depends on why you were diabetic in the first place.  Remission or not, I am no longer diabetic.  As for Diet Coke, Coke Zero, or any artificially sweetened drinks/food goes, they never raised my blood sugar levels.  I used to check often when I'd eat and drink certain things to see what kind of effect they had on me.  Never did DC or the likes raise it.  I still do check to see what kind of effect certain things have on my blood sugar levels.  I might be a mad scientist ;-)

Someone else in another comment said that people who weight 130 lbs can become diabetic.  Absolutely true.  Again, it really depends on what the root cause of the diabetes is.  For me it was fat that kept the insulin from taking care of the sugar in my blood.  Others, their pancreas might not be producing insulin like it used to.  I also read about insulin resistance and it doesn't necessarily have something to do with weight, but more how the cells failure to react to insulin.  

The good news though (and I'm guessing you probably already know this), is that stable blood sugar levels can often be achieved by what you're eating.  It can take you out of the pre-diabetes diagnosis to normal, assuming your body is working relatively normally.  If not, meds (like Metformin, gliclazide, et al) might be prescribed, not necessarily insulin.

Elaine C.
on 1/3/16 12:50 pm - Canada
VSG on 03/17/15
On December 8, 2014 at 1:36 PM Pacific Time, Susan S. wrote:

I realize this is an old thread but figured I'd throw in my 2 cents to the conversation...

I used to have diabetes and after a sufficient amount of weight loss from a VSG, I am no longer diabetic.  Someone in a previous comment said their endocrinologist told them it was in remission.  It really depends on why you were diabetic in the first place.  Remission or not, I am no longer diabetic.  As for Diet Coke, Coke Zero, or any artificially sweetened drinks/food goes, they never raised my blood sugar levels.  I used to check often when I'd eat and drink certain things to see what kind of effect they had on me.  Never did DC or the likes raise it.  I still do check to see what kind of effect certain things have on my blood sugar levels.  I might be a mad scientist ;-)

Someone else in another comment said that people who weight 130 lbs can become diabetic.  Absolutely true.  Again, it really depends on what the root cause of the diabetes is.  For me it was fat that kept the insulin from taking care of the sugar in my blood.  Others, their pancreas might not be producing insulin like it used to.  I also read about insulin resistance and it doesn't necessarily have something to do with weight, but more how the cells failure to react to insulin.  

The good news though (and I'm guessing you probably already know this), is that stable blood sugar levels can often be achieved by what you're eating.  It can take you out of the pre-diabetes diagnosis to normal, assuming your body is working relatively normally.  If not, meds (like Metformin, gliclazide, et al) might be prescribed, not necessarily insulin.

PeteA
on 12/8/14 9:12 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

That is why my endocrinologist says mine is in remission and not cured. It can come back and really
even though most of us (DS'rs I mean) that had/have diabetes think it was based on weight there are a lot of other causes for
insulin resistance.  

Don't panic over this you have time to make some adjustments and just maybe he is wrong and caught you
at a bad time. 

What symptoms did your Doctor use to give you that diagnosis? 
They usually talk about adding some exercise and looking at diet. After 10 years is your diet closer to a 
regular diet or are you still fairly high protein? 

PattyL
on 12/9/14 8:02 am

The advice give most diabetics/prediabetics is to try to lose 10% of their body weight and avoid sugars/carbs(the same things DSers try to avoid anyway).

Some people do say diet soda raises the BG. And others say no.  Only way to find out for sure what it does to you is to fast 10 or 12 hours, and take your BG.  Drink your diet soda, wait 2 hours and take your BG again.