DS as "Part Two" to VSG?

Hi everyone! I had a vsg just over four years ago and was very active on this wonderful site. My first 2 years post-op were fantastic but I regained 40 lbs by taking Abilify. My psych prescriber didn't tell me weight gain was a side effect. Stopped that med but later began taking Seroquel for sleep and gained 20 more lbs. Nothing else worked for me for sleep. I'm very nervous about visiting my surgeon and am afraid she will see this as my failure... which I guess it is. :(  What do you all think are the odds of my getting a second surgery or a DS to "finish" the VSG?

Lucy van Pelt 
 Highest 255 Surgery 248 Current 170
Goal: 150

katygee
on 12/4/14 3:17 am
DS on 11/14/14

What's your bmi and co-morbidity status?  I bet those factor in more.  I know my insurance carrier only allows for 1 bariatric surgery per lifetime period - regardless of failure.  

My BMI is 42.5, I have high blood pressure and sleep problems. Here is my insurance company's policy on repeat bariatric surgeries:

Repeat Bariatric Surgery: Aetna considers removal of a gastric band medically necessary when recommended by the member's physician. Aetna considers surgery to correct complications from bariatric surgery medically necessary, such as obstruction, stricture, erosion, or band slippage. Aetna considers repeat bariatric surgery medically necessary for members whose initial bariatric surgery was medically necessary (i.e., who met medical necessity criteria for their initial bariatric surgery), and who meet any of the following medical necessity criteria: Conversion to a sleeve gastrectomy, RYGB or BPD/DS is considered medically necessary for members who have not had adequate success (defined as loss of more than 50 % of excess body weight) 2 years following the primary bariatric surgery procedure and the member has been compliant with a prescribed nutrition and exercise program following the procedure; or Revision of a primary bariatric surgery procedure that has failed due to dilation of the gastric pouch, dilated gastrojejunal stoma, or dilation of the gastrojejunostomy anastomosis is considered medically necessary if the primary procedure was successful in inducing weight loss prior to the dilation of the pouch or GJ anastomosis, and the member has been compliant with a prescribed nutrition and exercise program following the procedure; or Replacement of an adjustable band is considered medically necessary if there are complications (e.g., port leakage, slippage) that cannot be corrected with band manipulation or adjustments; or Conversion from an adjustable band to a sleeve gastrectomy, RYGB or BPD/DS is considered medically necessary for members who have been compliant with a prescribed nutrition and exercise program following the band procedure, and there are complications that cannot be corrected with band manipulation, adjustments or replacement.

Lucy van Pelt 

Star0210
on 12/4/14 4:27 am
DS on 11/28/14

Sounds like your insurance would cover it. My insurance doesn't cover any WLS at all...

i just got home from Mexico last night where I had my sleeve fixed and added the switch. 

Valerie G.
on 12/4/14 6:47 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

You're still morbidly obese so hopefully you'll qualify if your insurance will cover a second surgery.  My concern would be whether or not your meds will continue to counteract any surgery, though.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

I'm off the offending medication, so I hope to move forward without to many problems...

Lucy van Pelt 

PeteA
on 12/4/14 5:10 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

It sure does sound like you should be covered for the 2nd part of the DS (the switch) since you've
already got the VSG done and haven't realized your goals. I think the malabsorption would help a lot. Are you organized enough to
keep on top of the extra vitamins you would have to take? I think that is the biggest question to answer for yourself
before deciding.

Hi Pete and thanks for your post. I'm able to be very organized about vitamins, etc. My biggest worry about the DS is dumping syndrome.

Doest that occur with you guys?

Lucy van Pelt 

hollykim
on 12/4/14 6:51 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

no,true dumping only occurs with the RN y. Sometimes sleepers have a bit of something like dumping,but if you didn't have that prob with a sleeve you likely won't after the DS. 

MsBatt
on 12/5/14 4:17 am
On December 4, 2014 at 2:51 PM Pacific Time, hollykim wrote:

no,true dumping only occurs with the RN y. Sometimes sleepers have a bit of something like dumping,but if you didn't have that prob with a sleeve you likely won't after the DS. 

Sorry, Holly, but this isn't correct. Anyone CAN dump, even people who've never had any sort of WLS. Also, having any sort of surgery on the digestive tract increases your likelihood of dumping at some point. Of course, it's much more likely for RNYers, since they aren't using their pylorus.