Hi, I am new here

Jlynnr87
on 12/2/14 8:05 am - Elbow lake , MN

Hi.. I am new here. I am seriously considering WLS, I thought that I had my mind made up about going with a VSG but am now slow considering possibly having a DS instead. If I'm not mistaken the DS uses the same type of sleeve that the VSG does right? 

My questions are this:

what type of vitamin routine do you have? 

Why did you choose the DS over other surgeries? 

And 

What was your recovery like? 

airbender
on 12/2/14 10:51 am

welcome, a DS is a vsg and the intestinal bypass.  Vitamin routine? types or quantities?  DSer on the average take many vit/min to supplement the intestinal bypass, you can get info from vitalady as a start but your individual blood work dictates tweeks etc.  I chose the DS since it has the best durable weight loss of all wls.  my recovery was very very easy I flew home 4 days PO and back to work in 2 weeks (no lifting).  good luck with your search, keep asking questions

Jlynnr87
on 12/2/14 11:02 am - Elbow lake , MN

Thank you. As far as vitamins I am wondering what kind of supplements and how often. You said you flew home, so I assume you had your surgery a ways away from home. So did a local doctor handle your post surgery care/check ups? 

MajorMom
on 12/2/14 6:14 pm - VA

Welcome aboard!  

I use Vitalady's vitamin schedule and adjust as my labs come back.  Link: http://www.gblcreations.com/Resources/Gina/ProgramDRNY_ERNY_ BPDDS3-2010.pdf

DS success rate exceeded all the others and I'm a grazer so I would have "out-eaten" all the others. The pros for the DS outweighed the cons.

Recovery. I felt like I'd been hit by a truck but was able to go back to work after 2 weeks off.

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

PeteA
on 12/2/14 10:59 pm - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

Welcome.  As you saw VSG is one part of the DS.

For vitamins I take:
Cacium citrate
2 multivitamins
Vitamins A, D, E, and K  although I am thinking about losing the vitamin E based on labs.
Vitamin B12
Magnesium, zinc, copper
Iron and vitamin C
Probiotic

Sounds like a lot but once you get organized it's not that hard.

I chose the DS for several reasons. I had a lot of weight to lose, I was very worried about regain, and I had
type 2 diabetes (now in remission).

First 2 weeks were tough, after that I was just tired by the afternoon. I slept on a recliner for the first
3-4 weeks. I am a side sleeper on the bed and that hurt too much.

Pete

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

adnerb
on 12/3/14 4:03 am

What surgery is best requires a lot of consideration. I had RNY in 2000 & a revision to DS in 2011. Both of these surgeries cause malabsorption, so I had to be committed to eating required amount of Protien & taking all vitamins as needed. Blood work yearly or more often is needed with both surgeries to see if vitamins or diet needs adjusted. Basically you need to be committed to lifetime of follow up care with surgeon &/or family doctor. Really worth it in the long run. Your decision will include factors such as type of eater you are, how much you need to lose, etc.  Contact a doctor who offers both surgeries and see if they have seminar you can attend or another source of info to help you learn more about what choice may be best for you. You have a lot of things to research & decide! Best wishes!!

Brenda