5 month post-op questions

MadFlo
on 12/3/14 2:12 pm - Chicago, IL

Hello, I'm new to these forums, but have had a lot of questions that I'd love to get answers from people with first hand experience.

I'm 21 years old and had the DS surgery done on July 22nd, 2014 and have currently lost a little over 100 lbs already. The only bad part is that I still don't reach my protein or liquid goals everyday and I can feel my body becoming weaker.

I currently go to the University of Iowa and live in a dorm so I eat a lot of frozen chicken breast, deli meat, cheeses, nuts, protein bars, and Core Power protein drinks. The only problem is that I cannot tell when my body is hungry. It freaks me out because I don't know if it's normal or is just how I'm reacting after surgery still.  

So basically I was just wondering if anyone had any good tips for getting my protein and fluids in? :)

Star0210
on 12/4/14 2:11 am
DS on 11/28/14

Are you using something like my fitness pal? That's how I tracked everything after I had my sleeve. You can set your nutrition goals for the day and they have a huge database of foods. You can even scan barcodes and it will enter info for you. 

Fluids should be very easy. Keep a water bottle with you at all times and keep sipping. I open a 16.9 oz bottle in the morning put in a packet of crystal light and I keep packets in my purse and I just keep re-filling. You need to drink a minimum of 4 per day. 

PeteA
on 12/4/14 5:04 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

The short answer for me is to scrupulously track your intake.

So you are about 4 months out. A lot of us, myself included, go through a phase where we are just not interested 
in food. IDK if it is because we don't read the new signs correctly or it is some adjustment our body/minds are making.

It worried me for a while but my appetite and hunger pangs eventually came back. I had to put myself on a 
strict schedule when it happened just to make sure I got my meals in. The other thing I did was to start tracking all my liquids and protein.

At 19 months I do this on a spreadsheet now since I work on a computer all day. For the first year I used weigh****cher
12 week planners. It had enough columns that I could adapt it to track liquids and protein. It was handy to take around 
with me. So you aren't alone.

It sounds like you do pretty well eating. I'm just guessing a hectic schedule makes it hard to schedule eating but you 
have to especially when you are busy.  It will be a bigger problem for you if you have malnutrition issues. You are now
at the point where eating is a medical necessity not something to be haphazard about.

But hey, noting you can't fix - great job on the 100 pounds. Congrats sand take care.

Pete

Valerie G.
on 12/4/14 6:52 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

The DS requires some considerable work on your part to keep healthy, and your body doesn't accept excuses.  As you're feeling now, it's reacting.  Being new to the forums, I also wonder if you're getting sufficient supplementation, as well.  Most surgeons and nutritionists give substandard advice to keep a DSer healthy past the third month. 

Your body's lack of desire to eat or drink is normal.  You need to feed your body simply for the need for fuel.  Desire is out of the equation with your hunger.   If you're drinking protein drinks, they count towards your fluids.  Keep a water bottle with you at all times and take a swig every time you can.  64 oz is your minimum and everything wet counts, including protein drinks, soup, etc.  I drink 64oz before lunch, so I know it's possible.  Protein is really tough the first couple of years.  I set alarms to remind me to eat.  I kept munchy foods like nuts to graze on mindlessly, knowing they counted towards my goal.  Pumpkin seeds are one of the highest protein counts.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

airbender
on 12/4/14 11:13 am

congratulations on a great acheivment, only 21 yrs old and living at a dorm that selection is rough, and you sound like you are making great choice considering your environment.   You are only 4 month PO so your tummy is still swollen.  In order to be able to drink more, dont eat and drink together, with such a small tummy you get "full" fast and you need room for your protein.  you can drink a cup of water when you rise, then have something to eat, wait another hour have another glass, eat something etc.  this way you will maximize your vsg capabillity.  you probably feel week cause you lost 100 lbs in 4 months!! my goodness, not sure what you bmi was but hopefully it was high with that weight loss.  your surgery is working correct, you should not be hungry-but dont worry your appetite will come back.  in the meantime pack some protein drinks, water bottles, tuna with mayo, cheese stixs, frozen chobai, nuts.  you are doing great, and it is ok if  you are not getting in all your protein since you are so early PO, just keep trying, you should easily be able to get in all your water, just keep it away from your food for now.  have reminders on your phone to drink a glass of water when you get to 8 you made your  minumum horray