Nauseous after drinking water?

lelu2312
on 12/1/14 11:01 pm
DS on 10/27/14

Hi everyone! I am 5 weeks post op and lately when I drink water, I get nauseous. Has anyone else experience that? Food doesn't bother me at all. It's just when I'm drinking plain ole water (which I used to LOVE before surgery). I still enjoy it but I hate this feeling I'm getting after I take a sip. Hopefully it's temporary!

Valerie G.
on 12/2/14 2:17 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

My first thought is whether or not you're getting enough fluids overall.  Anything wet counts, so try different things besides water.  Try different temperatures.  Nausea and fatigue are two key symptoms of dehydration, which is common for new post ops.  64oz is your goal, not to work up to - to achieve each and every day.  It's hard but your body doesn't care and will react accordingly.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

PattyL
on 12/2/14 4:50 am

Probably is temporary.  But everything wet counts as fluids.  Try different temperatures or soups.

airbender
on 12/2/14 7:25 am

you are early PO and have gotten some great suggestions.  I dont understand why this just started now. But I would suggest as others have suggested temp change,  staying away from cold and not consume anything that is not warmer than room temp, very cold liquids can cause nausea, cramping feeling, hopefully you will be through this soon

trumanorme
on 12/8/14 3:02 am - KS

It may not be temporary. I used to drink several bottles of water a day. But after having my switch, just a small drink (even at a water fountain) makes me nauseous. It's been going on more than three years. My Mayo Clinic doctors said I would probably have this issue for the rest of my days.

I can add a bit of koolaid, or take a drink of just about anything else, with no problems. I can't even take my vitamins/pills with a swig of water. Pretty strange.